This vegan apple pie is absolutely the best pie you’ll ever make. It’s bursting with flavor from lightly spiced apple filling set between layers of flaky crust.
For the Crust:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (225g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Ice Water*
For the Filling:
- 6 cups (750) Peeled and Sliced Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (31g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
For Brushing the Pie before Baking:
- Melted vegan butter
- Brown Sugar
For Serving (Optional):
- Prepare the crust: Add the flour, sugar and salt to your mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the vegan butter and mix it into the dry ingredients with your hands until you have crumbs.
- Add the ice water and mix it into a big ball of dough. If needed, add an extra tablespoon or two of iced water (only if it doesn’t want to form into a ball of dough).
- Cut the ball of dough into equal halves and form the two halves into two balls.
- Place the balls of dough into the fridge for an hour. This lets the gluten in the dough relax and helps to prevent shrinking while it bakes.
- When the dough has been in the fridge for an hour, bring it out again and let it come to room temperature on the counter before you roll it out.
- Roll out one of the balls of dough into a circle wider than the size of a 9-inch round pie dish.
- Spray your 9-inch round pie dish with non-stick spray and then place the dough over your pie dish and press it down into the edges of the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare the filling: Add peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples to a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, all purpose flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice and vanilla extract and toss with the apples so that they’re evenly coated.
- Add the filling on top of the pie crust and spread it out evenly. Dot the top of the apple filling with the vegan butter.
- Roll out the second ball of dough for your top crust and place it on top of the pie filling.
- Trim off any excess dough and then pinch the top and the bottom crusts together to seal it. Press a fork around the edges to create a pattern and to seal it in even more.
- Brush the top of the pie with melted vegan butter and sprinkle the top with brown sugar.
- Cut slits in the top of the pie for the steam to escape and then place the pie dish onto a parchment lined baking tray (the pie can drip while it bakes) and bake it for 50-60 minutes.
- Keep a check on it and at the 50 minute mark if it is showing signs of over-browning and you are seeing the filling bubbling up from the slits, then you can take it out of the oven. If it isn’t over-browning then leave it in for the full hour.
- Allow the pie to cool for 2-3 hours before slicing and serving.
*It’s essential to let the pie cool completely before slicing. This is so the flavors can settle and the filling can thicken. It’s also much easier to slice when it’s cooled.
*You can serve your apple pie either hot or cold. It’s better to slice the pie when completely cooled and then either serve it that way, or heat each slice up in the microwave. It’s wonderful served with vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream.
*Leftover apple pie keeps really well in the fridge (covered) for 5 days. The pie crust can lose a little of its crispiness but it’s still delicious. Reheat a slice in the microwave as you like.
*Prep time is for hands on time only and doesn’t include the time for the dough to chill in the fridge.
*Nutritional information is for the pie only and excludes vegan ice cream or vegan cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 8)
- Calories: 506
- Sugar: 25.3g
- Sodium: 72mg
- Fat: 26.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Carbohydrates: 61.6g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
Keywords: vegan apple pie