Creamy, smooth and divinely textured vegan avocado ice cream. Easy 8-ingredient recipe with perfect flavor and the perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture.
This vegan avocado ice cream is so smooth and creamy you will totally fall in love with it.
It has a perfect melt-in-the-mouth consistency and the color is totally gorgeous.
It’s also extremely easy to make.
I tried a version of this that just did not work at all. And I should have known as soon as I tasted it right after blending it because it tasted just like (very) sweet guacamole.
But I thought, well…. maybe it will be better once it’s churned?
So I churned it and then froze it and then it tasted like frozen sweet guacamole!
Not at all what I was aiming for.
So I tried again and this time I used a little less avocado, a little more coconut cream and coconut milk and a little less sugar and then we had avocado ice cream perfection!
Just enough avocado flavor so that you know you’re having avocado ice cream but nothing at all like frozen guacamole!
Just smooth, beautifully textured, creamy ice cream.
How to make vegan avocado ice cream
This is really one of the easiest vegan ice creams I’ve made.
Usually when making vegan ice cream, I heat the coconut cream and coconut milk with the sugar until it reaches a simmer and then I blend it. This ensures a really smooth even consistency with the perfect ice cream mouthfeel.
But I just had a feeling that since we’re going to be adding two avocados to the mix, that it would not be necessary. And I was totally right!
So this saves time on this recipe, you simply throw all your ingredients: coconut cream, coconut milk, sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and two avocados into a blender and blend until very smooth.
Then you churn it in your ice cream machine until it reaches a soft serve consistency. Transfer to a loaf pan, smooth it down, and then freeze it for several hours until frozen.
Scoop and serve and enjoy yourself hugely with this perfectly textured vegan ice cream.
The secrets to the best vegan avocado ice cream!
Okay so it’s not a secret at all because I’m about to tell you!
Full fat ingredients. We use a mix of full fat coconut cream from the can, full fat coconut milk, also from the can, and of course ripe avocados.
You definitely don’t want to make this with low fat ingredients or with thinner plant milks like almond milk. It won’t be nearly as good that is for certain.
If you are allergic to coconuts but still want to make this ice cream then I would try using a vegan cream like a soy cream or something like that instead. I have not tested it this way, but that would be what I would try. It needs to be high in fat and super creamy. That is the secret to good ice cream.
Lemon juice stops the avocado from oxidizing. We’re blending and then churning and only then are we freezing. Without lemon juice added there is too much time for the avocados to oxidize during this process. The lemon juice keeps that from happening.
Maple syrup goes along with the sugar to create the sweetness but also to assist in creating that perfect texture.
Vanilla extract and sea salt provide flavor depth and balance.
Churn or no churn?
You definitely want to churn! Churning the ice cream incorporates air which helps with that delicious light and airy ice cream texture.
However, for this recipe I really do recommend an ice cream maker. If you want to make this without an ice cream maker of course you can, but it will not have the same texture. I’m sure it will still be good, but not nearly as good as if you churn it.
We have a Cuisinart ice cream maker and really love it! I’ve used it for all our vegan ice cream recipes and it works like a charm.
So I hope you’re going to love this vegan avocado ice cream. It is:
- Perfectly textured
- Avocado flavored
- Simply divine!
Even though this is ice cream, it is still best to consume it when fresh. It’s going to be at its best within the first week to 10 days after making it.
More Vegan Ice Cream
- We’ve made a lot of vegan ice cream on this blog. Our vegan vanilla ice cream is a pure classic, our vegan coconut ice cream is topped with a toasted coconut topping that will blow your mind!
- Vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of my favorite flavors ever! And our vegan chocolate ice cream is so decadent you can hardly even believe it.
- Our cashew ice cream and vegan pistachio ice cream and our vegan coffee ice cream are all winners too! And our vegan banana ice cream is simply amazing! I recommend you try them all!
So what do you think of this vegan avocado ice cream? Going to try it? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too. Thanks.
Sign up to our email list to be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog and we’ll also send you a gorgeous recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes.
Vegan Avocado Ice Cream
- At least the night before, place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer to freeze. When your ice cream maker bowl is frozen, then proceed with the recipe.
- Place the coconut cream, coconut milk, white sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, salt and avocados into the blender jug.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer instructions until it reaches soft serve consistency. Depending on your ice cream maker this could take anywhere from 20-45 minutes.
- Once it reaches soft serve consistency transfer the ice cream to a loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Cover and place into the freezer for several hours until completely set.
- Heat up an ice cream scoop in some hot water and scoop the ice cream and serve.
- Maple syrup can be replaced with any kind of syrup you prefer.
- Prep time does not include time spent setting in the freezer.