Perfectly moist, light and fluffy vegan banana cake loaded with banana flavor and topped with a delicious lemon frosting. Can be made as a sheet cake or a layer cake.
For the Vegan Banana Cake:
- 2 and 3/4 cups (344g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Vegan Buttermilk
- 3 Large Ripe Bananas (12.7 oz/360g peeled weight)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Oil
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Vegan Lemon Frosting:
- 3 and 1/2 cups (420g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- Crushed Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×13 sheet pan with non-stick spray and set aside. For layer cake instructions see notes*.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the white and brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix together.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by placing 1 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 2/3 (160ml) line. Allow to sit for a minute to curdle.
- Add the bananas, vegan buttermilk and coconut oil to a blender jug and blend briefly until combined. Don’t overblend or the bananas will start to oxidize.
- Pour the blended bananas, buttermilk and coconut oil over the dry ingredients and mix in.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the flax egg, applesauce and vanilla extract and whisk with a hand whisk to remove any lumps.
- Pour the batter out into the sheet pan and spread out evenly.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check it at 30 minutes it might be perfectly done, I have had differing results in different ovens.
- Place the whole sheet pan onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter and lemon juice to the bowl of an electric mixer and starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until perfectly thick and smooth. If your frosting turns out too thick, add more lemon juice a drop at a time until you get the right consistency. If it turns out too thin, add more powdered sugar until it reaches the right thickness.
- Frost the cooled cake, and decorate with crushed walnuts.
*Nutritional information is for 1 slice of 15 including frosting and crushed walnuts.
*Recipe adapted from my Vegan Banana Bread.
*To make this cake as a 2-layer 8-inch cake, the recipe stays exactly the same. Just pour it out into 2 8-inch cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. The frosting is enough to frost the top and middle but not quite enough to frost the sides. If you want enough to frost the whole layer cake including the sides, then you can use the lemon frosting recipe from our vegan lemon cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 15)
- Calories: 376
- Sugar: 50.8g
- Sodium: 236mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 72.5g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.5g
Keywords: vegan banana cake