Moist and spongey vegan banana cupcakes topped with peanut butter frosting. These easy to make cupcakes are light and fluffy and smell simply wonderful while baking!
- For the Banana Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Medium Ripe Bananas (300g)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 2 cups (250g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1/3 cup (83g) Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix the lemon juice with the soy milk and allow to curdle.
- Peel the bananas and add to a blender jug along with the soy milk and lemon juice, coconut oil and applesauce. Blend until smooth. Pour this over the dry ingredients and mix in.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy. Add the flax egg to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla and mix in.
- Line a cupcake tray with liners and divide the batter evenly between them. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your peanut butter frosting. Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, peanut butter, vanilla and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add more soy milk a drop at a time until you reach the desired thickness.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with some crushed peanuts (optional).
*Recipe adapted from my Vegan Banana Bread Muffins
*Nutritional estimate is based on 1 cupcake of 12 with a generous topping of peanut butter frosting.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 40.9g
- Sodium: 324mg
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 51.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4.4g