This vegan banana ice cream is made with roasted bananas for a really decadent, ultra creamy ice cream that even non-vegans will totally love!
For the Homemade Cashew Milk:
- 2/3 cup (100g) Raw Cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)*
- 3/4 cup (180ml) + 2 Tbsp (30ml) Water (Total = 210ml)
For the Roasted Bananas:
- 4 Medium Bananas (around 400g peeled and sliced)
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Vegan Butter (Melted)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
For the Ice Cream:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Cashew Milk*
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Coconut Milk (Canned, Full Fat)
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Water
- 2/3 cup + 1 Tbsp (100g) Cacao Butter (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup (109g) Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Full Recipe Roasted Bananas (as above)
- 3/4 cup (75g) Walnuts (Chopped)
- At least the day before you want to make ice cream, make sure the bowl for your ice cream machine is placed into the freezer so that’s it’s ready to go the next day.
- Prepare your homemade cashew milk. Add the cashews to a bowl and then pour over boiling water and let it sit for 1 hour. Then drain the cashews and add them to the blender jug along with 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp fresh cold water and blend very well until completely blended in. You should not have to strain this milk at all. It should be totally smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare your roasted bananas. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel and slice 4 medium bananas and place the slices into a mixing bowl. Add the melted vegan butter, brown sugar and salt and toss the banana slices until well coated.
- Spread the banana slices out onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake for around 40 minutes until browned and caramelized.
- Make your ice cream. Add the homemade cashew milk to a big bowl along with the coconut milk and set aside. Get all your other ingredients ready before proceeding.
- Add the sugar to a saucepan along with the quarter cup of water. Stir constantly until the sugar is melted. You’ll know it’s melted when the wooden spoon is no longer making a scratching sound along the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add in the cacao butter, coconut oil, salt and vanilla and whisk in until everything is melted together.
- Then pour the melted sugar/cacao butter/coconut oil/vanilla/salt mix out into the bowl with the cashew milk and coconut cream. Add in the full batch of roasted bananas.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything together. If you don’t have an immersion blender, then transfer everything to your blender jug and blend it and then return it to the bowl.
- Take the whole bowl and place it into the freezer for 15-20 minutes so that the mixture gets chilled. When the mixture is chilled you might find that the mixture has started to harden along the sides, just stir it up well again and then pour it into the ice cream machine.
- Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer directions until you reach a soft serve consistency. Depending on the ice cream machine you have this could be anything from 25-45 minutes. Add the chopped walnuts into the ice cream maker in the last minute of churning.
- Transfer to a loaf pan and smooth down with the back of a spoon, cover and place into the freezer to set completely.
*If your batch of cashew milk makes slightly more or slightly less than 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml), don’t worry about it and just use all of it in the ice cream.
*Prep time excludes time the spent soaking the cashews and the time spent chilling the mixture or for the ice cream to set completely in the freezer. It is for the hands on time, including churning.
*Recipe adapted from the book Artisan Ice Cream.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Churn
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 10)
- Calories: 500
- Sugar: 28.9g
- Sodium: 296mg
- Fat: 38.6g
- Saturated Fat: 22.1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.8g
Keywords: vegan banana ice cream