Perfectly moist vegan banana muffins with a gorgeous bakery-style domed top. Soft, fluffy and packed with banana flavor.
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 3 Medium Ripe Bananas (10.5oz/300g peeled weight, about 1 and 1/3 cups mashed)*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegan Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Chopped), plus more to add on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown and white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mash the bananas and add to the mixing bowl.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice to a measuring cup and then adding in soy milk up to the 1/2 cup (120ml) line. Let it curdle. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and mix into a thick batter.
- Add in the chopped walnuts and stir in.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin partitions and add some more chopped walnuts on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool and then enjoy!
*Weigh your flour and your peeled bananas for the best accuracy in this recipe.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.2g
Keywords: vegan banana muffins