These vegan banana muffins are soft, fluffy and perfectly moist with a gorgeous bakery-style domed top. Packed with banana flavor and ideal for breakfast or dessert.
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (100g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 and 1/3 cups (300g) Mashed Banana (about 3 Medium Ripe Bananas)*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegan Buttermilk (made with 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice plus soy milk up to the 1/2 cup line)*
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Chopped), plus more to add on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown and white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the mashed banana to the mixing bowl.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice to a measuring cup and then adding in soy milk up to the 1/2 cup (120ml) line. Let it curdle. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and mix into a thick batter.
- Add in the chopped walnuts and stir in.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin partitions and add some more chopped walnuts on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool and then enjoy!
*Measure the flour correctly using the spoon and level method, spoon it into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop the flour and don’t pack it into the cup.
*You can also make vegan buttermilk with almond milk, though the result isn’t as thick as with soy milk. It has differing results with other plant milks, but even if it doesn’t curdle into buttermilk, you can still use another milk if that’s what you have on hand.
*You can use a different oil such as vegetable oil if you can’t use coconut oil.
*If you don’t have any applesauce on hand, then just use 2 Tbsp of extra mashed banana.
*This recipe was first published in February 2019.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.2g
Keywords: vegan banana muffins