These vegan blackberry muffins are perfectly moist, light and fluffy and packed with flavor. You will love how simple they are to make, with wonderful results.
- 2 and 1/4 cups (282g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk (1 Tbsp Lemon Juice + Soy Milk up to the 1 cup Line)*
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Applesauce*
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (216g) Blackberries (Chopped)
- 1 tsp All Purpose Flour (to roll the blackberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the white sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line and letting it curdle.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, applesauce, melted coconut oil and vanilla into the mixing bowl and mix into a thick batter.
- Add 1 cup of the blackberries to a bowl with the 1 teaspoon of all purpose flour and toss until lightly coated in the flour. Add the blackberries to the batter and fold in.
- Divide the batter between the muffin partitions of the prepared muffin tray. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of blackberries directly to the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean (it may have some blackberries on it and that is fine, but no wet batter).
- Transfer the muffins to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool before serving.
*Weigh your flour on a food scale for the most accurate results OR make sure to use the spoon and level method for measuring flour which is the correct way to measure flour if using cups.
*Vegan buttermilk can also be made with almond milk, though soy milk is a creamier thicker milk so tends to work better.
*An alternative to the applesauce is the same amount of mashed banana.
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 18.2g
- Sodium: 243mg
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 38.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 3.3g
Keywords: vegan blackberry muffins