Vegan blue cheese dressing with that signature blue cheese tang and a chunky blue cheese texture. Perfect as a dip or dressing!
This vegan blue cheese dressing has all the cheesy tang and chunky texture of an actual blue cheese dressing.
I was loving it as a dip for some raw veggies but of course it makes a wonderful salad dressing too.
It also comes together in minutes because it’s just a case of adding some ingredients to a jug, whisking them up and then adding in the surprise ingredient for the ‘chunky’ part.
Well maybe it’s not really a surprise ingredient, it’s tofu! I mean what else would it be?
Often when we’re buying tofu people who don’t know what it is think ask us if it’s some kind of cheese.
And when it’s crumbled like this and added in to a very cheesy tangy dressing well… it almost might be cheese!
How to make vegan blue cheese dressing
The base of this recipe is vegan mayonnaise. You can use a store-bought variety or you can go ahead and make your own vegan mayo.
I used a store-bought variety for making this one as even though making your own vegan mayo is super easy, I wanted to make this as easy as possible, so store-bought was the way forward.
And then you just mix in some dijon mustard, crushed garlic, tahini, white vinegar, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, a little maple syrup and some dried dill.
Add some crumbled tofu and voilà.
This recipe really does depend on all the ingredients to get that signature blue cheese tang.
That being said, if you want to replace maple syrup with a different kind of sweetener, that would be fine! The maple syrup just works to offset some of those tangy flavors just a tiny bit and balance everything out. Any sweetener will do the job.
Nutritional yeast contributes to the cheesiness but you don’t taste it at all in the final result, so only leave this out if you really really hate it.
White vinegar is essential to the cheesy tang and I highly recommend you use exactly this kind of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar will not work the same, though if it’s all you can get, you can use it in a pinch.
You can leave out the tofu! If you don’t like tofu or just don’t like the idea, leave it out. Quite honestly the tofu doesn’t taste like tofu here, it takes on the flavor of the dressing so just creates texture, but if you leave it out that’s all that you’ll lose – texture.
Of course you can play around with the flavors here if you’re the experimental type and tweak it perfectly to your tastes.
So I hope you’ll love this vegan blue cheese dressing! It is:
- Perfect as a dip or dressing
Keep it stored in the fridge and enjoy within around 5 days.
More vegan salad dressings!
- Our vegan ranch dressing also has vegan mayonnaise as the base and is totally divine.
- Our vegan caesar dressing is the best thing ever for your vegan caesar salads and our tahini salad dressing and tahini sauce are both awesome on pretty much anything!
- Our recipes for vegan thousand island and vegan aioli are pretty wonderful too.
So let us know what you think of this vegan blue cheese dressing recipe in the comments and please rate the recipe too!
Sign up to our email list while you’re here and we’ll send you a gorgeous free recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes. You’ll also be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.
Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard, crushed garlic, tahini, white vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and dried dill. Whisk up with a hand whisk until smooth.
- Then crumble up the tofu with a fork and then add it in, folding it gently into the dressing.
- Serve as a dip for raw veggies or as a salad dressing.
- The tofu is optional, you can leave it out and just have a smooth dressing if you prefer.
- Keep it stored in the fridge and enjoy within around 5 days.