Hearty vegan bolognese sauce made with tofu, walnuts, mushrooms and lentils for a super satisfying, high protein and deliciously textured bolognese.
- 1 8oz (~220g) Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Finely Chopped)
- 18oz (500g) Brown Mushrooms (Portobellini)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Brown Lentils (Drained)
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce*
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Crushed Tomato*
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mash the tofu with a fork and add to a mixing bowl.
- Place the walnuts into the food processor and process until finely chopped and then add to the mixing bowl with the tofu.
- Add the mushrooms to the food processor and process until finely chopped and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the drained lentils to the mixing bowl.
- Mix up the tofu, walnuts, mushrooms and lentils together.
- Add the chopped onion and olive oil to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add in your tofu/walnut/mushroom/lentil mix along with crushed garlic, dried basil, oregano, cayenne pepper and dark soy sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes letting the bolognese cook off some of the water, so it’s not too wet.
- Then add in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and keep frying for a few minutes until you reach a good consistency.
- Stir in the coconut sugar and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over spaghetti and top with fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day.
*Crushed tomatoes can be switched for canned chopped tomatoes.
*Use a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to make this bolognese sauce entirely gluten-free.
*Nutritional information is for bolognese only and does not include spaghetti.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 11.4g
- Sodium: 430mg
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 46.8g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 21.8g
Keywords: vegan bolognese