Vegan bread pudding that is golden and crispy on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside. Super easy and perfect comfort food. Divine served warm with vegan cream or ice cream.
- 10–12 Thick Slices (~18oz/500g) White Bread*
- 1/2 cup (75g) Raisins
- 2 and 2/3 cups (660ml) Coconut Cream*
- 1/2 cup (75g) Raw Cashews
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4–6 Tbsp (60-90g) Vegan Butter (Divided, for brushing)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the bread into chunks and then add to a mixing bowl with the raisins.
- Add the coconut cream, cashews, coconut oil, white sugar, cinnamon and vanilla to a blender jug and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the blended mix over the bread chunks and raisins in the mixing bowl. Toss it carefully, being careful not to break up the bread, so that all the bread pieces are covered with the sauce.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish and smooth down evenly.
- Melt 3 Tbsp of the vegan butter and brush it over the top. If you have some leftover then keep it for later.
- Place into the oven (uncovered) and bake for 45 minutes.
- When it comes out the oven it should be all browned and crispy on top. Melt the remaining 2-3 Tbsp of vegan butter and brush over the top. I usually start with 2 Tbsp but if I run out then I melt another 1 Tbsp.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar (optional but does look pretty).
- Serve with sweetened vegan whipped cream, vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan custard.
*It is ideal if your bread is slightly stale. Depending on the thickness of the slices you might need 10 or 12 slices. If you’re slicing it quite thick yourself then 10 slices is probably right, if you’re buying pre-sliced (but thick cut) bread then 12 slices is probably right. You can weigh it for accuracy (~18oz/500g) but it is not necessary to be exact for this recipe to work out.
*Use full fat canned coconut cream. It works out to 1 and 2/3 cans of coconut cream. Measure this in a measuring jug for accuracy, but you should have around 1/3 of a can left over from 2 cans (14oz/400ml each) of coconut cream.
*Nutritional information includes the powdered sugar dusted on top but excludes vegan cream or vegan ice cream that you serve with it.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 589
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 408mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 57.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 8.5g
Keywords: vegan bread pudding