These vegan brownies are the fudgiest, most delicious, best brownies ever! Super easy to make, loaded with chocolate and soon to be your new favorite recipe.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (86g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (90g) Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 3 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Hot Water
- 2 cups (400g) White Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (175g) Vegan Chocolate Chips (plus more to place on top of the brownies before baking)
- Before you start making your brownies, add the 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds to a bowl and then pour over the 1/2 cup (120ml) hot water from the kettle. Leave it to sit while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a 9×9 square baking dish* with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper so that there is overhang on either side. Set aside.
- Sift the all purpose flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- Add the vegan butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, bringing it out to stir every 30-seconds until melted.
- Now add the flax eggs, white granulated sugar and vanilla extract to the melted vegan butter and chocolate and whisk it in with a hand whisk.
- Pour this out over your dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix into a thick brownie batter.
- Add the cup of chocolate chips and mix in.
- Transfer the brownie mix to your prepared 9×9 square baking dish and smooth down.
- Add a few more chocolate chips directly to the top of the brownies.
- Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- The brownies are done when they are dry and shiny on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs (or melted chocolate) but not wet batter.
- Let the brownies cool and firm up for 15 minutes in the pan before using the parchment paper overhang to remove them from the pan and place onto a wooden board. Let them cool completely before slicing.
*Measure the flour correctly. Use the spoon and level method – spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup. If you have a food scale then just weigh the flour on the food scale for total accuracy.
*Don’t substitute ingredients. Substituting ingredients doesn’t work well in this recipe. Everything works together in this recipe and any substitutions could throw out the balance.
*Ultra fudgy brownies: Let the brownies firm up in the fridge for ultra fudginess. When the brownies have cooled at room temperature, place them into the fridge for an hour or two before serving. They get ultra fudgy!
*Don’t slice them when they’re still warm. If you slice the brownies when they’re still warm, they can crumble. Make sure they are completely cooled before slicing.
*Make them in a 9×13 baking pan: You can make these brownies in a 9×13 baking pan, the brownies will just be thinner. Baking time is 25-30 minutes.
*Gluten-Free: We have not tested these brownies as gluten-free but my best guess would be that a gluten free all purpose blend would work great in place of the regular flour in this recipe. Alternatively, take a look at our vegan gluten free brownies.
*Storing and Freezing: Leftover brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to a week. They are freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the fridge and let them come up to room temperature on the counter before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 16)
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 34.1g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 48.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan brownies, fudgy vegan brownies