Fresh and delicious vegan bruschetta. Ripe, juicy tomatoes and fresh basil combine to make the perfect topping for toasted ciabatta. An ideal appetizer.
For the Tomato Basil Topping:
- 4 Large Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Fresh Basil (Chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
For the Ciabatta:
- 12 Slices Ciabatta*
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to brush onto the bread, and more for drizzling)
- Slice the tomatoes in half and then use a teaspoon to scoop out the watery seeds and either use these for something else or discard them. Then chop up the tomatoes and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the chopped basil, crushed garlic, sea salt, black pepper, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss together and leave to sit for 10-15 minutes for the flavors to blend together perfectly while you prepare your ciabatta.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) using the grill function.
- Slice the ciabatta and brush each slice with olive oil on both sides.
- Place the ciabatta slices onto a parchment lined baking tray. Place into the oven and under the grill for around 5-7 mins each side until lightly browned and toasted. Keep an eye on it the whole time as ovens will differ and you might need less time.
- When the ciabatta is toasted, place onto a plate, heap on some tomato and basil topping and then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and add a sprinkle of sea salt and ground black pepper on top and serve.
*The size of your ciabatta loaf may not be the same as ours, so just eyeball it with the amount of topping vs the size of your slices. The worst thing that could happen is you’d have some leftover toasted ciabatta once your topping is finished. If you have more bread than what can comfortably fit onto an oven tray then you’re probably using too much.
*Ciabatta works great for this as it is nice and sturdy so is able to hold the topping without getting soggy. If you don’t use ciabatta then make sure you use a similar type of bread that is equally sturdy.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 Slices
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 5.7g
- Sodium: 543mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 44.9g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 8.1g
Keywords: vegan bruschetta