This vegan butter chicken recipe is made with tofu and cashews for a deliciously creamy version that tastes a lot like the classic Indian dish. It’s easy, and it’s better than take-out!
For the Tofu:
- 14 ounces (400g) Extra Firm Tofu
For the Vegan Yogurt Sauce:
- 2/3 cup (100g) Raw Cashews
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Water
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (Freshly Grated)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup (240ml) Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut Cream (Canned)*
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- Sea Salt (To Taste)
- Basmati Rice
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Lemon Slices
- Press the tofu either using a tofu press or by placing the tofu onto a plate, put another plate on top of it, and then stack something heavy on top of that, like a heavy pot or stack of books. Then leave it to press for 30 minutes. This makes the tofu as firm as possible.
- When the tofu is pressed roughly chop it and place it into a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prepare the vegan yogurt sauce. Add the raw cashews, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and garam masala into a blender jug and blend until smooth.
- Pour this out over the tofu in the mixing bowl and gently toss the tofu pieces in the sauce so that the tofu is evenly spread with the sauce.
- Transfer the tofu carefully to a parchment lined baking tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Prepare your sauce. While the tofu is baking you can begin your sauce. Add vegan butter to a pot on medium heat and melt the butter. Add chopped onions and sauté until softened.
- Now add crushed garlic, grated ginger, garam masala, turmeric, cumin and cayenne pepper and sauté with the onions.
- Add crushed tomatoes and coconut cream and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer and let it simmer for a few minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the coconut sugar (for flavor balance). Add salt to taste.
- Finally, add the baked tofu pieces and fold them into the sauce.
- Serve with basmati rice, fresh chopped cilantro and lemon slices.
*Firm or ideally extra firm tofu is needed for this recipe. And then we still press it for 30 minutes to make it super firm.
*You can also use canned, full fat, unsweetened coconut milk instead of canned coconut cream.
*Coconut sugar can be replaced with brown sugar.
*Keep any leftovers stored covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
*You can also freeze it if you like for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
*Prep time includes the time spent pressing the tofu.
*Nutritional information excludes rice.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 8.8g
- Sodium: 439mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 16.6g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18.5g
Keywords: vegan butter chicken