This vegan camembert is so good you will hardly believe it. It’s super easy, no ageing required, and it tastes as good or better than the ‘real thing’. Enjoy on crackers or as part of a vegan cheese board.
- Place raw cashews into a bowl. Pour over boiling hot water from the kettle. Leave them to soak for 1 hour. Then drain and rinse.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the soaked cashews, garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, distilled white vinegar, onion powder, dijon mustard and vegetable stock to the blender jug and blend until smooth.
- Prepare two oven safe ramekins (~3 inches round, 2.5 inches deep, see notes*) by lining them with parchment paper. You can secure the parchment paper in place with a rubber band. Just don’t forget to take the rubber bands off before you bake.
- Pour the cheese mix into the ramekins, dividing it evenly between them.
- Sprinkle the top of the cheeses with ground rainbow peppercorns.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow them to cool at room temperature until they’re cool and then place into the fridge to chill completely before removing them from their ramekins.
- Slice and serve on bread or crackers or as part of a vegan cheese board.
*Nutritional yeast. If you’re not a fan of nutritional yeast for any reason you can omit it. The recipe will still work without it, though it will lose some of the cheesiness.
*Distilled white vinegar. This works wonderfully for adding cheesy flavor to recipes. Apple cider vinegar will work in a pinch but white vinegar is the best.
*Ramekins. We used two small oven safe ramekins (3 inches round, 2.5 inches deep). If you have a bigger ramekin you can just use one. The exact size isn’t important, you just want to be able to fit your cheese mix into it. So if you have smaller ramekins maybe you will make 3 smaller cheese rounds, or if you have a bigger one (5-6 inches round), you can make a single cheese round. Of course make sure it’s oven safe so that you can bake it.
*Let the cheese chill. It’s ideal to let the cheeses cool at room temperature until they have reached room temperature and then move them to the fridge to chill completely. You want them to be completely cold and feel firm to the touch before you remove them from the ramekins. This will make them easy to slice as well.
*Storing and Freezing. Keep your cheese stored in the fridge and enjoy within a week. It is also freezer friendly for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and enjoy.
*Serving size. This recipe makes 2 small cheeses or 1 larger round cheese. Nutritional information is calculated as 4 serves per small cheese, and 8 serves in total.
- Category: Side, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 244mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: vegan camembert