Gorgeous Vegan Caramel Cream Pie. Inspired by South African favorite, the Peppermint Caramel Tart! Salty, sweet and fabulously creamy, this pie is ideal for any special occasion!
- For the Crust:
- 4 oz (112g) Ground Pretzels
- 2.5 oz (70g) Raw Cashews
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- For the Date Caramel Center:
- 2 cups (350g) pitted and chopped Dates (approx 40 medium sized Dates)
- Cream portion from 1 14 oz (400ml) can Coconut Cream
- For the Whipped Cream Topping
- Cream portion from 2 14 oz (400ml) cans Coconut Cream
- 6 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- For the Decoration:
- Vegan Dark Mint Chocolate
- Place all 3 cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator and leave there overnight.
- When you’re ready to begin – preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius).
- Place the pretzels and cashews into the food processor and process until finely crumbled.
- Move into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Melt the vegan butter and pour it over the crumbled mix.
- Mix it in well and then smooth it into a pie dish, working it up the sides with your hands.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until browned and set.
- Add the dates to a food processor.
- It will initially form a giant ball of toffee.
- Continue to process beyond this point until the giant ball begins to break up.
- You may have to stop it and help it along by breaking up the big ball of toffee with your hands.
- The ball will get gradually smaller as more of it sticks to the sides.
- Switch off the processor, scrape off the sides with a spoon and switch it back on.
- Open one can of coconut cream. The cream will have separated from the water and will be right on top.
- Scoop out only this cream portion, leaving the water behind, and add it slowly to the processor while it is running.
- Continue to process until you have a thick, smooth, date caramel.
- Scoop out the date caramel on top of the pretzel crust.
- Place into the fridge to set while you prepare your whipped coconut cream.
- Open the remaining 2 cans of coconut cream, scooping out only the top separated cream portion of the can into a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer start at slow speed, gradually building up speed, until the cream is thick and whipped cream consistency has been reached.
- Add the powdered sugar and whip again to mix in.
- Scoop this out over the date caramel layer and smooth it out.
- Grate dark chocolate over the top for decoration.
- Return to the refrigerator to fully set (approx 2 hours).
- Slice and enjoy!
*Pretzel crust adapted from Minimalist Baker.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 503
- Sugar: 27.8g
- Sodium: 223mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 44.6g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 5.7g