This vegan caramel sauce is so easy to make with only 3-ingredients. Perfect as a topping for ice cream or dessert and ready in 5 minutes.
This vegan caramel sauce is just ridiculously good.
It’s a wonderful sauce when warm, but when cooled in the fridge, it turns into fudge. So there’s that!
Whatever sauce you have left over you can pour into moulds and have it as fudge later or reheat and use it as a sauce again.
I think my favorite use for it is poured over ice cream.
But use it wherever you would use a caramel sauce. Pour it over pancakes or use it on your oatmeal or just eat it straight up with a spoon.
Also check out our fabulous vegan chocolate sauce recipe.
How to Make Vegan Caramel Sauce
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Making this is so easy it’s crazy.
- Melt coconut butter and add it to a bowl with maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix it together.
- And that’s it!
Top Tip: The most important part of this recipe is that it has to be coconut butter, it can’t be coconut oil or cocoa butter or cacao butter or any other type of butter you can think of, it has to be coconut butter or it won’t work. Make sure it clearly says ‘coconut butter’ on the jar.
How to Melt Coconut Butter
The easy way to melt coconut butter is just to stand the jar in a bowl of boiling hot water, then as it melts, take off the lid of the jar and give it a stir, put the lid back on and put the jar back in hot water again and then repeat until it’s all melted and well mixed.
You can’t just scoop coconut butter out of the top of the jar because it tends to separate when it cools and solidifies (like the oil at the top of a natural peanut butter or almond butter), so you need it all melted together and then stirred up properly.
How To Use Caramel Sauce
It’s also the caramel topping we used on our vegan cheesecake recipe.
The ice cream you see pictured here is our vegan ice cream and this sauce was just fabulous poured over the top.
Store leftovers in a jar in the fridge and use within a week. It will set solidly in the fridge, so gently reheat by standing the jar in a bowl of hot water OR microwave it very briefly (10-15 seconds) to make it liquid and pourable again.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Melt the coconut butter by standing the sealed jar in a bowl of hot water. When the coconut butter is melted, mix it properly. This is because coconut butter often separates with the coconut oil section rising to the top. You want it to be properly mixed together.
- Measure out a quarter cup of coconut butter and place it into a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Pour over ice cream or whatever else needs a sauce!
- Keep in a sealed jar in the fridge and gently heat before use.
- Alternatively, pour any leftovers into moulds where it will set into a coconut fudge and enjoy it that way.
- It must be coconut butter, not cacao butter and definitely not coconut oil. Make sure the jar says ‘coconut butter’.
- Alternatives to maple syrup are date syrup (a syrup made entirely from dates) or agave nectar or golden syrup. Golden syrup has a wonderful caramel flavor already, so works really well here.
- The best way to reheat this sauce is to stand the jar in a bowl of hot water and let it heat that way or heat it very briefly in the microwave. Usually 10-15 seconds is enough to make it liquid and pourable again.
- Recipe adapted from The Vegan 8.
- This recipe was originally published in January 2017 but it has now been updated with new text and photos.