Deliciously moist vegan carrot cake cupcakes topped with orange cream frosting and orange zest. These cupcakes are a lot like muffins, they’re satisfying and nourishing and satisfy all cravings.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 and 1/3 cup (255g) Grated Carrot
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed + 6 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1/2 Cup (120ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
For the Orange Cream Frosting:
- 3 cups (360g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Tbsp Orange Extract
- 1–2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour and add to a mixing bowl with the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.
- Grate around 2-3 carrots and weigh them out, then add to the mixing bowl.
- Prepare your flax eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 6 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a while to become gloopy.
- Add the flax eggs to the mixing bowl along with the oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix in together. The batter will be very thick but keep mixing until it starts to meld together and form a thick batter.
- Prepare your orange zest by grating the skin of a whole orange. Get together roughly a tablespoon of zest and add to your mixing bowl.
- Place the walnuts in the food processor and pulse until they’re broken up into small pieces.
- Add the walnuts and mix in.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners. It’s best to use cupcake liners that are fairly high along the sides for these, or choose muffin liners. This is to avoid ‘muffin top’ that can happen with these cupcakes.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean (or very close to).
- Remove from the cupcake tray immediately and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, prepare your frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, orange extract and 1 tablespoon orange juice to your stand mixer and starting slow gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If it’s too thick add more orange juice but only as much as needed so the frosting can be piped.
- Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes and decorate with orange zest.
*Based on my vegan carrot cake recipe.
*Nutritional information is based on 1 cupcake (of 12) with a very generous amount of frosting.
*It’s important to use muffin liners or cupcake liners that are go quite high on the sides for these cupcakes as they tend towards a muffin top when baking and without the high cupcake liners, they are harder to remove from the tray.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 56.3g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Fat: 18.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 76.4g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.9g
Keywords: vegan carrot cake cupcakes