Creamy and super cheesy vegan cheese sauce recipe. Ideal for lasagnas, pastas, vegan mac and cheese or anywhere you would usually use a cheese sauce. Nut free.
- 6 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups (960ml) Soy Milk*
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup (30g) Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Grated Vegan Cheese
- Add the olive oil to a pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium high.
- When the oil begins to heat up, add the flour, stirring briskly all the time.
- Fry the flour in the oil for a bit, stirring vigorously, and then add in all the soy milk at once. Stir vigorously. Alternate with a hand whisk and a wooden spoon while it heats up to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Continue to stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
- You will usually reach the right thickness a few minutes after the sauce has reached boiling point.
- When it has reached the desired thickness remove from the heat (bear in mind that it will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Stir in the mustard, nutritional yeast, salt and ground black pepper.
- Taste test and see how you like it. If you want to intensify the flavors, add in the onion powder and garlic powder and stir in. Depending on what you want to use the cheese sauce for, you may prefer it plain or you may want to intensify the flavors with the onion and garlic powders.
- Serve with pasta or use as a sauce in a vegan lasagna. Add some grated vegan cheese to the sauce as well if you like.
*You can use different non-dairy milks with slightly different flavor results.
*Adapted from my basic vegan white sauce recipe.
*This recipe has recently been updated with new photos added.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.4g
Keywords: vegan cheese sauce