Vegan chicken made from scratch with vital wheat gluten aka seitan. Super flavorful, high in protein and perfectly spiced with wonderful texture.
- 3/4 cup (123g) Canned Chickpeas (Drained)
- 1/4 cup (15g) Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 2 tsp Vegan Chicken Spice (or Vegan Poultry Seasoning)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Vegan Chicken Stock
- 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Vital Wheat Gluten
- Vegan Butter (or sub oil)
- Vegan Chicken Spice (to rub into fillets)
- Fresh Lemon
- Fresh Parsley
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, coriander powder, sage, vegan chicken spice and dijon mustard to the food processor along with the vegan chicken stock and process until well mixed.
- Pour this out into a mixing bowl and add the vital wheat gluten. Stir it in with a spoon and then almost immediately get in there with your hands to mix it properly and knead just a few times. You just want it to go from soft and sticky to just starting to become firm.*
- Transfer to a cutting board and flatten it out before cutting into 4 pieces. Wrap these 4 pieces in foil (loosely, they expand while steaming) and place into a steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
- When they have finished steaming, let them cool for a few minutes and then unwrap them from the foil.
- Cut each fillet lengthways down the middle (see photos) so that you have 8 fillets.
- Sprinkle them with vegan chicken spice and rub in with your fingers.
- Heat some vegan butter* and then fry the fillets in the butter, turning over regularly until browned and crispy on both sides. Depending on the size of your pan you will likely have to do this in two batches.
- Serve with fresh parsley and fresh lemon, and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
*It’s okay if there is a little vital wheat gluten left at the bottom of the bowl that doesn’t mix in. Definitely don’t knead too long just because you’re trying to get everything mixed in.
*I used 1 Tbsp vegan butter per batch and I fried them up in 2 batches, you might want to use more or less, you can also substitute for oil but I really like the flavor blend with vegan butter.
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Fillet (of 8)
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 0.7g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 23.7g
Keywords: vegan chicken