This vegan chili is ‘warm your cheeks in winter’ spicy and deliciously hearty and comforting. Served with a dollop of cashew cream and some fresh herbs it’s a flavorful and satisfying plant based dinner that you’ll want to repeat many times over!
For the Chili:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 Medium Stalks Celery (Sliced)
- 2 Medium Carrots (Sliced)
- 2 14oz (400g) Cans Chopped Tomato
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Kidney Beans (Drained)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Black Beans (Drained)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder*
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar (or Coconut Sugar)
- Sea Salt To Taste
- Cashew Cream
- Chopped Chives
- Fresh Basil
- Cooked Basmati Rice
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the celery and carrot and sauté with the onions.
- Then add the canned tomato, vegetable stock and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the drained kidney beans and black beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and paprika and stir in.
- Simmer uncovered until the vegetables are cooked and the flavors have blended beautifully together.
- Add in the brown sugar and sea salt to taste.
- Serve with cashew cream, chopped chives, fresh basil leaves and with or without rice.
*This recipe assumes you’ll be using full strength pure chili powder as we did, and not a chili blend. However, if you are using a blend (if yours is a blend it will include other mild spices like garlic powder, oregano, cumin etc) then you’ll want to use more than we’ve used here, about 2 Tablespoons, but taste test and see how you go.
*This is a spicy, but flavorful dish. If you prefer milder food and are using the pure chili powder, start with 1/2 teaspoon.
*Nutritional information is for chili only, without optional add-ons like cashew cream or rice.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 21.8g
- Sodium: 908mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 60.3g
- Fiber: 17.8g
- Protein: 14.7g
Keywords: vegan chili