This easy vegan chocolate cake is moist, rich and decadent but also so simple to make! It’s also extremely versatile for different pan sizes.
For the Vegan Chocolate Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) All-Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (43g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 cup (200g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseeds + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)*
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or Almond Milk)*
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray two 8-inch cake pans (see notes for different cake pan sizes*) with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing one tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water and leave to sit for a minute or so to become gloopy.
- Add your flax egg, soy milk (or other non-dairy milk), vanilla extract, oil and vinegar to the mixing bowl and mix in. Don’t overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the cake pans for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with our vegan chocolate frosting or a half batch of our vegan chocolate buttercream frosting.
*Measure the flour correctly. Measure the flour correctly using the spoon and level method – spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup. Alternatively weigh it on a food scale.
*Flax egg. You can replace the flax egg with 3 Tablespoons of applesauce.
*Cake Sizes: This cake can be adapted for different cake sizes as follows:
- Three 6-inch round cake pans – bake for 20 minutes.
- Two 7-inch round cake pans – bake for 25 minutes.
- Two 8-inch round cake pans – bake for 20 minutes.
- One 9-inch round cake pan – bake for 30 minutes.
- 9×9 square cake pan – bake for 25 minutes.
- 9×13 sheet cake – bake for 15-20 minutes.
*Gluten-Free: If you want to adapt this cake for gluten-free then we’ve done all the heavy lifting for you already. Check out our gluten-free chocolate cake that adapts this recipe beautifully to create a perfectly moist and delicious gluten-free version.
*Cupcakes: This recipe adapts beautifully to 12 perfect cupcakes. Bake them for 20 minutes. Or check out our classic vegan chocolate cupcakes.
*Storing and Freezing: Keep it covered at room temperature where it will stay perfectly fresh for a couple of days, or covered in the fridge where it will stay good for up to a week. It’s freezer friendly for up to 3 months.
*Nutritional information is for the cake only and excludes frosting. Nutritional information for the frostings can be found on those separate linked recipes.
*This recipe was first published in September 2015. It has been updated with new photos and lots of extra tips but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Dessert, Cakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 slice (of 10)
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 20.2g
- Sodium: 271mg
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 3.6g
Keywords: easy vegan chocolate cake