I absolutely adore banana bread, and ever since posting my recipe for a straight up delicious vegan banana bread, I have been wanting to try a double chocolate version, as in, double chocolate chip banana bread, yeeha!
And yes, it tastes as good as it sounds. And as good as it looks!
Banana bread is the best thing to make when you have some very ripe bananas on hand. Some people call this (pictured below), overripe. But it’s not really, it’s just very ripe. It’s the stage where it’s not very appealing to eat them straight up, but they’re still totally fine to use in baking.
If they truly are at the overripe stage (as in – you get the faint whiff of alcohol when you open them), then throw those out, don’t mess up your banana bread with those things.
I always like my banana bread slathered with vegan butter. But Jaye tends to enjoy it plain. He sees it more as cake, I see it more as bread.
Any way you prefer, you’re going to have some fun with this, both making it and eating it.
I’ve complained before in other chocolate chip recipes, about not being able to find chocolate chips here, so again I just cut up a slab of vegan dark chocolate into small chunks and used that instead.
The chocolate chips – or in my case chocolate chunks – give this such an extra hit of delicious! Served warm you get melted and gooey chocolate delights in your slice of banana bread, and served cold you bite into chunks of hard and delicious dark chocolate. Either way it’s a treat.
Kept wrapped and covered this lasts a few days, but who am I kidding, who is going to keep this around for a few days?
You will love this vegan chocolate chip banana bread, it’s:
- Double Chocolate
- Perfectly Sweet
- Packed with banana deliciousness!
Any comments or questions, please post them down below. And if you make this vegan chocolate chip banana bread, let us know how it turned out! Rate the recipe and leave a comment.
As always, tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so we don’t miss them! Thank you!Print
Vegan chocolate chip banana bread that is perfectly moist, rich and packed with banana flavor! Ideal to serve as dessert or have as an anytime snack.
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 4 Medium (14oz / 400g) Ripe Bananas
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Flax Egg
- 3.5 oz (100g) Vegan Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour and add to a mixing bowl. Add the white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder and mix together.
- Take the 4 small ripe bananas (preferably weigh them to ensure correct quantity) and add them to a blender with the soy milk and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- Pour this out over the dry ingredients and mix in with a hand whisk.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute until it becomes gloopy.
- Add the flax egg to the mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Lastly add the vegan dark chocolate chips and mix in. If you can’t get dark chocolate chips, just get a slab of vegan dark chocolate and cut it into small chunks and add this instead.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and cut out parchment paper to line the bottom.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Place into the oven and bake for around 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (if you hit some melted chocolate, just try a different spot!).
*Adapted from my recipe for Vegan Banana Bread.
- Serving Size: 1 Thick Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 26.2g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 53.7g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 5.3g
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip banana bread