These vegan chocolate cupcakes are really irresistible.
Perfect little packages of yummy chocolate cake paired with mint buttercream frosting that is melt-in-your-mouth fabulous.
I wanted to go with green mint frosting because I had an aversion to using chocolate frosting on a cupcake, just because of the little twirls I wanted to do in the frosting, and you know, one thing you must always avoid in food blogging is anything vaguely resembling a turd.
And then the other thing you must always avoid in food blogging is talking about turds in food blogging!
And then of course chocolate and mint are best mates anyway so I had no doubt it was going to be a good pairing!
The cupcakes are purely chocolate flavored though, no hint of mint in sight, but that frosting – oh my – creamy dreamy minty bliss!
For the life of me I could not find gorgeous cupcake liners anywhere!
I mean the ones I used are okay, they do the job, but I was really hoping for some very photogenic little art creations but I did not find them, sadly.
What is totally awesome is how easy cupcakes are to make!
Easier than a cake for sure.
You don’t have to grease cake tins or cut out perfect circles of parchment paper to line the base of said cake tins. And they cook even faster too.
Not to mention that frosting them is big fun!
I have a very junky little piping kit that kept on needing to be taken apart and put back together midway through the job, but in spite of that – big fun!
Along with gorgeous cupcake liners I need to find a fancy shmancy piping kit too, because I tell you, cupcakes are in my future in a big way!
And propped up at a jaunty angle on top of these vegan chocolate cupcakes is nothing other than a block of vegan mint chocolate.
Now did that add a little something something or what! (rhetorical question).
You will love these cupcakes for the rich, glorious dark chocolate flavor that blends SO well with the rich buttery mint frosting.
And you will love how pretty they are! And how easy they are to make.
So let me know in the comments what you think of these cupcakes!
Make them, rate them, and tag them #lovingitvegan on instagram too! Chat soon! 🙂 xxxPrint
Gorgeous vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with mint buttercream frosting. Irresistible little packages of rich, glorious dark chocolate blending SO well with rich buttery mint frosting.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1.5 cups (190g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- ½ cup (42g) Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp (10ml) Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) White Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal mixed with 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- For the Mint Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Milk
- 1/4 tsp Green Food Coloring
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- For Decorating:
- 12 squares vegan dark mint chocolate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius)
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix in.
- Prepare a flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla extract, olive oil and white vinegar and mix in.
- Then add the flax egg and mix in together.
- Whisk with a hand whisk to properly combine and remove any large lumps.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Transfer the batter to a jug that has a pouring nozzle and pour the batter evenly out into the cupcake liners using all the batter between the 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes. They’re ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, soy milk, green food coloring and peppermint extract to an electric mixer.
- Starting on low speed, gradually increase speed until the perfect consistency is reached.
- When the cupcakes are ready, move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- When completely cool, frost with mint buttercream frosting and decorate with squares of dark mint chocolate.
*Adapted from my Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 48g
- Sodium: 277mg
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 64.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 3.5g