These vegan chocolate cupcakes are totally irresistible.
Perfect little packages of yummy chocolate cupcakes paired with mint buttercream frosting that is melt-in-your-mouth fabulous.
Chocolate and mint are always a good pairing in my book and the combination in these cupcakes is a total winner.
The cupcakes are purely chocolate flavored though, no hint of mint in sight, but that frosting – oh my – creamy dreamy minty bliss!
And what is totally awesome about these cupcakes is how easy they are to make!
Easier than a cake for sure.
You don’t have to grease cake tins or cut out perfect circles of parchment paper to line the base of said cake tins. And they cook even faster too.
And you get to put them in gorgeous colorful cupcake liners!
Not to mention that frosting them is big fun!
And then you decorate these cupcakes with some shavings of vegan chocolate. This bit is completely optional, but oh my it definitely adds a little something something!
The other part that is optional with these cupcakes is the green food coloring in the frosting. It’s only for looks so if you prefer not to use it, you can just omit it.
If you want to use it though, then just a couple of drops are all that is needed to get this lovely shade of green.
If you’re not a huge fan of mint, then you can switch the frosting on these cupcakes so that you have chocolate on chocolate and nothing but chocolate! A frosting that would also be divine on these cupcakes is the chocolate buttercream frosting from our gluten-free chocolate cupcakes. So feel free to do the switcheroo if mint doesn’t float your boat.
You will love these vegan chocolate cupcakes for the rich, glorious dark chocolate flavor that blends SO well with the mint buttercream frosting.
And you will love how pretty they are! And how easy they are to make. Not to mention how moist and just insanely delicious they are!
So let me know in the comments what you think of these vegan chocolate cupcakes! And please rate the recipe too! Thank you!
For more delicious vegan cupcake recipes, check out these great options:
- Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- Vegan Peppermint Cupcakes
- Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes
And while you’re here, sign up to our email list, you’ll get an awesome (and free) vegan dinner recipes ebook containing 10 awesome recipes and you’ll be the first to know when we post new recipes to the blog.
Gorgeous vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with a mint buttercream frosting. These super easy vegan cupcakes are rich, moist and totally irresistible!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) All-Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or sub Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal mixed with 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
For the Mint Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 3 cups (360g) Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract*
- Couple of drops Green Food Coloring*
- Vegan Chocolate Shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix in.
- Prepare a flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla extract, olive oil and white vinegar and mix in.
- Then add the flax egg and mix in together.
- Whisk with a hand whisk until just combined and large lumps are removed (tiny lumps are okay)
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, soy milk, green food coloring and peppermint extract to an electric mixer.
- Starting on low speed, gradually increase speed until thick and smooth. If it’s too thick, add a tiny bit more soy milk (a drop at a time) and mix again until you reach the perfect consistency.
- Pipe on the frosting and decorate the cupcakes with shavings of vegan chocolate (optional).
* Weigh your flour for the most accurate results in this recipe.
*I prefer using a good quality extra virgin olive oil in these cupcakes but if you prefer to use a different vegetable oil you can do so.
*You might want to add more peppermint extract, it depends on the brand you use, you might need to use a little more to get enough mint flavor. Taste test and add more if needed.
*The green food coloring is completely optional and you can omit it if you prefer not to use it.
*If you’re not a huge mint fan, then feel free to switch the frosting for the chocolate buttercream frosting from our gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.
*Nutritional information includes frosting.
*Adapted from my Vegan Chocolate Cake.
- Category: Baking, Dessert, Cakes
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 46.1g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 61.5g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: vegan chocolate cupcakes