Classic vegan chocolate cupcakes topped with the smoothest, silkiest vegan chocolate buttercream and chocolate shavings. Moist, fluffy and mega-chocolatey. The perfect vegan chocolate cupcake recipe.
For the Classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk*
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Canola Oil*
- 3 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar*
For the Classic Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter
- 3 cups (360g) Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup (63g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2–3 Tbsp Soy Milk*
- Grated vegan chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl and add the white and brown sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla, oil, applesauce and vinegar and mix in. Use a hand whisk to whisk out any big lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then remove the cupcakes from the cupcake tray and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, start at slow speed, gradually increasing speed. Add in the soy milk slowly, only as much as needed to get the right consistency.
- When your cupcakes are cooled, pipe on the frosting and sprinkle with grated vegan chocolate shavings.
*Weigh your flour for the most accurate results.
*You can use almond milk instead of soy milk (in the cupcakes and frosting) if you prefer.
*You can use a different vegetable oil other than canola if you prefer.
*Apple cider vinegar can be used interchangeably with white vinegar.
*For the frosting, the amount of non-dairy milk you will need to add will depend on the water content of the brand of vegan butter you use. I used all 3 Tbsp of soy milk. You may need less (higher water content vegan butter) or more (lower water content vegan butter). So just be careful with the addition of the non-dairy milk, add it in slowly and as much as you need for the perfect thick frosting consistency for piping.
*This makes a good amount of frosting, enough to frost each cupcake quite liberally (as pictured).
*Nutritional information is for 1 cupcake of 12 including frosting and chocolate shavings.
*Recipe adapted from our Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Buttercream Frosting.
- Category: Dessert, Baking, Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 409
- Sugar: 46.5g
- Sodium: 331mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 65.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 4.1g
Keywords: vegan chocolate cupcakes