Oh my! I think this is my favorite donut recipe ever!
Ever since I made my baked vegan donuts, I wanted to try making some vegan chocolate donuts.
And these are even better than I imagined. They’re kind of like chocolate cake donuts! And while the last donuts were dipped in melted chocolate, I wanted to try making a chocolate glaze for these from powdered sugar and cocoa powder, and it worked super well.
Though of course if you’re so inspired – melted chocolate would be fab too!
Baked donuts are just so ridiculously easy to make. I don’t even understand it myself. Like they only bake for 15 minutes. I don’t know why. Couldn’t tell you. Was trying to figure it out and did a fair few google searches trying to figure it out. Still don’t know. Like cakes bake for 30 minutes and cupcakes bake for 20-25 plus minutes. How come these are ready in 15? I don’t know, but they just are!
So when you consider that the preparation takes about 15 minutes and then they bake for 15 minutes, there’s really only 30 minutes standing between you and some freshly baked vegan chocolate donuts! Tempting isn’t it?
I (rather messily, I’ll admit) decorated them with chocolate sprinkles, colored sprinkles and dried coconut.
The donut recipe is a simple mix of 10-ingredients and the chocolate glaze is just powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and a little non-dairy milk.
You will love these vegan chocolate donuts, they are:
- Like chocolate cake!
- Super quick and easy
- Topped with a chocolate glaze
- Rich and chocolatey
- Moist and delicious!
They are simply divine when fresh but will also keep covered in the fridge for up to a week.
So let us know what you think of these fabulous vegan chocolate donuts with chocolate glaze! And if you make this recipe tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can admire it too!
For more delicious chocolate desserts, check out:
- Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Shortbread and Raisin Chocolate Tiffin
- The Most Decadent Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
While you’re here, definitely sign up to our email list! You’ll get a free recipe ebook and stay updated with all our latest recipes (posted twice per week)!
Chocolate cake style vegan chocolate donuts. These moist and delicious baked vegan donuts are super quick and easy, rich and chocolatey and topped with a chocolate glaze.
- For the Donuts:
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (22g) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2–3 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- For Decorating:
- Dried Coconut
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour and the cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk), applesauce, coconut oil, vinegar and vanilla and whisk with a hand whisk to remove any lumps.
- Spray a donut tray with non-stick spray and divide the batter evenly among the donut rings.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the donuts comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before adding the chocolate glaze.
- To prepare the chocolate glaze, add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and 2 Tbsp of the soy milk or other non-dairy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer. Start at slow speed and then gradually increase speed until smooth. Check the consistency, you want it to be thick enough to set on top of the donuts but thin enough that the donuts can be dipped directly into the glaze. If it’s too thick, add the other Tbsp of non-dairy milk.
- Dip the donuts directly into the glaze and then place onto a parchment lined baking tray. Using a spoon spread any leftover glaze onto the donuts to cover any spots that didn’t get covered when you dipped them. Add sprinkles or other toppings and enjoy.
*Nutritional information is for 1 donut of 6 with chocolate glaze.
*If you’d prefer to dip the donuts into melted chocolate then melt 7oz (200g) of vegan chocolate by breaking it into pieces and placing into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals bringing it out to stir every 30 seconds until melted. Dip the donuts in the melted chocolate, add sprinkles and then place into the fridge for a few minutes to set.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Donut (of 6)
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 37.8g
- Sodium: 327mg
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 58.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 4.4g