I think two of my favorite things to make are cakes (all cakes, but especially cupcakes ) and ice creams.
Oh my goodness, I love making ice creams! They’re so easy to make, and taste soooo good!
There’s really no downside!
So in my quest to make ice creams in all the flavors (got vanilla, coconut, mint chocolate chip and salted caramel so far – so much fun still ahead!), of course chocolate has to come fairly soon on the list. Chocolate is a major player in the whole ice cream game after all!
I knew I wanted to make a really really rich and decadent chocolate flavor. Like not just adding some cocoa to it and calling it a day.
And this fabulous vegan chocolate ice cream really gets it right! It’s decadent and rich as all heck!
The decadence and richness comes from adding a couple of slabs of vegan dark chocolate to it in addition to a large dose of cocoa.
The result is a chocolate mousse style ice cream that doesn’t disappoint!
I’m not kidding about the richness though – it’s crazy rich but in such a good way. You only need a small portion of this to be entirely satisfied! And I mean entirely!
If you’re so inclined (we totally were) you can add some more chopped vegan dark chocolate over the top when serving. Oh yum!
To make this delicious vegan chocolate ice cream, you simply add coconut milk, coconut cream, cocoa, sugar and golden or maple syrup to a pot and bring it to a simmer stirring regularly.
When it reaches a simmer, you remove from the heat, and add in a little vanilla and some vegan dark chocolate. Allow it to sit for a minute to give the chocolate a chance to melt and then whisk it in. Then you blend for 30 seconds using an immersion blender if you have one, or a regular blender if you don’t. This is to remove any last trace of graininess there may be in the ice cream texture.
Then you transfer this mixture to a container with a lid, place into the fridge and allow to cool completely.
Due to the dark chocolate in the recipe, this mixture may begin to set while it cools, becoming the consistency of chocolate mousse. This is totally okay!
When it’s cooled completely, you add to your ice cream machine and churn it until it reaches the consistency of thick soft serve.
Then you transfer it from the ice cream machine to a loaf pan, smooth it down, cover with tinfoil and place into the freezer to set.
And that’s it!
I couldn’t decide whether this was better in bowls or in cones, so we went with both!
You will love this fabulous vegan chocolate ice cream, it is:
- Amazingly rich
- Like a chocolate mousse ice cream!
- The darkest richest chocolate flavor
- The ideal ice cream texture
- Perfectly smooth and creamy
I’d love to know what you think of this chocolate ice cream recipe! Let me know in the comments.
And if you make this ice cream, pop back and let us know how it turned out (and don’t forget to tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram!)
Amazingly rich and decadent vegan chocolate ice cream. Perfectly textured, smooth and creamy, and rich with dark chocolate flavor.
- 1 14oz Can Coconut Milk
- 1 14oz Can Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1/4 cup Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 7oz (200g) Vegan Dark Chocolate (plus more for serving)
- The day before you want to make ice cream, place the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer to freeze properly.
- Then add your coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar, syrup and cocoa powder to a pot and heat to a simmer. You’ll need to whisk it with a hand whisk to mix the cooca powder in properly, but thereafter you can just stir gently until it reaches a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces and add, leaving for a minute to give it a chance to melt, then whisk in until smooth.
- Then blend in the pot with an immersion blender for 30 seconds to remove any last trace of graininess from your mixture. If you don’t have an immersion blender, then transfer to your blender jug and blend.
- Transfer the mix to a sealable container and place into the fridge to chill completely. It may thicken into a chocolate mousse consistency, this is fine.
- When your ice cream maker freezer bowl is frozen, transfer the mix to the bowl and churn until it reaches soft serve consistency. If it’s quite thick going in, then this may only take around 20 minutes, but churn it for as long as possible (at least 20 minutes) so that it incorporates enough air to be light and fluffy.
- Smooth down into a loaf pan, cover with tinfoil and place into the freezer to set completely before serving.
- Serve with chopped up pieces of dark chocolate (optional).
*Prep time does not include the time spent chilling the mix or setting in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 21.7g
- Fat: 31.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 5.6g