This 3-ingredient vegan chocolate mousse is simply fabulous.
There’s no avocado or aquafaba anywhere to be seen (not that I have anything against those!) and since the sweetness comes from dates (yay for fruit that tastes like candy!), it is also (dare I say it?) healthy!
And don’t be surprised at my reluctance to call something healthy, you just know there are going to be people with very strong opinions in the other direction writing in to tell me it is not!
But nonetheless I’m doing it, I’m calling it, it’s healthy!
The 3-ingredients are coconut cream, dates and cocoa! Yip, just those!
You use coconut cream that has been hardened in the fridge overnight, so just as if you were going to make whipped coconut cream, you refrigerate a can overnight and then scoop out just the top hardened layer of coconut cream.
And that, plus soft and juicy medjool dates and cocoa powder (and a food processor), equals this amazing vegan chocolate mousse!
There’s one step in making this that you will likely find a bit strange, but seriously, it’s what takes this from good to great!
You put the mousse through a strainer! It takes a little time and leaves you with a strainer that needs to go through the dishwasher at least twice, but it’s entirely necessary.
This is because dates, as wonderful as they are, have date skins that make the texture less than smooth, a lot less than smooth. But once strained, you have fluffy, perfectly smooth mousse.
You will love this gorgeous vegan chocolate mousse, it is:
- Light and fluffy
This recipe makes enough for 2 small ramekins, which is 2 perfect serves. If you would like to serve more people then double up the recipe.
Serve with some whipped coconut cream, cherries and vegan chocolate shavings!
So let us know what you think of this vegan chocolate mousse in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thank you!
For more super easy chocolatey goodies, check out these recipes:
- Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Mousse (this is the aquafaba variety!)
- Vegan Chocolate Ganache Pecan Pie
- Sea Salt Chocolate Peanut Clusters
Sign up to our email list for an amazing (and free!) recipe ebook and to be the first to know whenever a new recipe is posted!Print
Smooth date-sweetened vegan chocolate mousse. This 3-ingredient mousse is light, fluffy and super easy to make! Makes a perfect dessert! Gluten-Free.
- 1 Can (14oz/400ml) Coconut Cream
- 1 cup (175g) Pitted Medjool Dates (packed)
- 1/4 cup (22g) Cocoa Powder
- Refrigerate a can of coconut cream overnight. Then scoop out only the hardened cream that has risen to the top. (See notes).
- Add the dates, cocoa powder and hardened coconut cream to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Then add the mixture to a strainer and strain it so that it’s perfectly smooth and all the date skins are removed.
- Divide between two ramekins and place into the fridge to set.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream, chocolate shavings and cherries (optional).
*If you have a can of coconut cream that has very little water left behind once the cream has risen to the top, i.e. very little waste, then just use half the can of hardened cream. Some cans of coconut cream will leave roughly half the can behind as water when the hardened cream rises to the top, and when that happens, use all the cream. Other cans will have barely any water left behind, so in that case, use only half the hardened cream.
*Nutritional information is for mousse only and doesn’t include any extra toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 59.6g
- Sodium: 28mg
- Fat: 22.9g
- Saturated Fat: 18.4g
- Carbohydrates: 74.4g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Protein: 5g