This delicious vegan chocolate mousse is made with dates and coconut cream for a wonderfully rich and smooth mousse. Super easy with only 3 ingredients!
- Refrigerate your cans of coconut cream overnight. Then scoop out only the hardened cream that has risen to the top. (See notes). If your coconut cream has not hardened at the top and is still soft, but has separated then this is fine too. Just scoop off the cream, leaving the watery part at the bottom of the can.
- Add the pitted medjool dates to your food processor along with the unsweetened cocoa powder and process.
- It will form a big ball of toffee and then as you continue to process it will gradually start to break up and stick to the sides. You can also stop the processor and break up the big ball of toffee with your hands and then process again.
- When there is more stuck to the sides than there is in a ball, stop the processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula and then process again.
- While the processor is running, gradually add in the coconut cream, a little at a time. Stop regularly and scrape down the sides and then process again. Add in more of the coconut cream a little at a time until you have used all the coconut cream and you have a rich thick chocolate.
- Place the mousse into a strainer over a bowl and strain it quickly so that you get a really smooth mousse.
- Transfer to four ramekins and smooth the tops down with the back of a spoon. Place into the fridge to set.
*You’re aiming for roughly 1 and 3/4 cups (420ml) of coconut cream. This will usually be about what you’ll get from scooping the separated cream from two cans of coconut cream. If you have a little more (a little more meaning around 2 Tbsp (30ml) more) then that’s fine. But if you have any more than that, then use the excess for something else (like in your coffee or smoothie).
*Your dates must be really soft and pliable otherwise it becomes too difficult to process them. You can heat them briefly in the microwave to soften, but it’s better if they’re soft to start with.
*Nutritional information is for mousse only and doesn’t include any extra toppings.
*This recipe was first published in March 2018, now updated with new process photos and text.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 59.6g
- Sodium: 28mg
- Fat: 22.9g
- Saturated Fat: 18.4g
- Carbohydrates: 74.4g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegan chocolate mousse