These bakery-style vegan chocolate muffins have a gorgeous domed top and are ultra moist and decadent and packed with chocolate chips and chocolate chunks!
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Powder (or Finely Ground Coffee)
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk (1 Tbsp lemon juice + soy milk up to the 1 cup line)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1/4 cup (60g) Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar*
- 1 cup (175g) Vegan Chocolate Chips and Chunks (Mixed)*, plus more to place on top.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt and instant coffee powder.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Allow it to curdle. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add in the vanilla, melted coconut oil, applesauce and vinegar and stir into a thick batter.
- Add in the chocolate chips and chunks and fold in.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin partitions and then add a few more chocolate chips and chunks to the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean (melted chocolate is fine but wet batter is not).
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool and then enjoy!
*Weigh your flour for the most accurate results or make sure to measure it correctly using the spoon and level method. Spoon it into a measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife.
*You can use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
*You can use either chocolate chips or chunks but I liked using a mix because as you can see from the photos, you have the different colors and textures of the two different types of chocolate. For chunks just chop up a bar of your favorite chocolate. If you are going to do half/half like I did, then use 88g chocolate chips and 88g chocolate chunks.
*This recipe was first published in January 2019.
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 19.1g
- Sodium: 232mg
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 4.6g
Keywords: vegan chocolate muffins