Decadently delicious vegan oreo pie with an oreo cookie crust, creamy chocolate peanut butter mousse center and a whipped coconut cream topping.
So it seems I made the most decadent pie I could dream of. Well at least – another one – since I have been known to make decadent pies before!
This one happened quite accidentally though.
I was scrolling my facebook newsfeed, as you do. And one of those recipe videos starting playing. I don’t know if it was Tasty or Tip Hero, one of those.
And basically it was a pie recipe quite different to this one, in the sense that it used a heap of ingredients that did not come anywhere near this pie, like cream cheese and heavy cream and all sorts, but it gave me the idea for this delicious vegan oreo pie.
And like pretty much most of my recipes, I had to test it a couple of times before I perfected it, so Jaye has been eating this pie every day for a couple of weeks and there have been NO complaints from him.
How To Make Vegan Oreo Pie
The Oreo crust comes out fabulously, and it’s just two ingredients, so super easy. And of course a coconut whipped cream topping is a walk in the park for us vegan bakers. 🙂
It was the chocolate peanut butter mousse center that I had a little trouble with.
I wanted it to be very mousse-like, and the first time I tried it, it started OFF very mousse-like but then firmed up in the fridge to be mousse-like no longer – basically, it was too firm.
I had briefly considered using tofu for this, but quickly discarded that idea. So far I have resisted tofu additions to desserts. But as with other things I once resisted but ended up being awesome (like vegan chocolate avocado mousse), I’ll probably change my mind on this sometime.
The winning formula for the chocolate peanut butter mousse center turned out to be creating the mix to be VERY liquid. And then it firms up in the fridge to the exact mousse consistency.
So when you make this pie, don’t freak out when you’re pouring the mousse layer on and it’s so liquid you can’t imagine how this will turn into mousse – never fear!
Provided you’ve followed the recipe – it firms up perfectly into the most delish peanut butter mousse ever.
Top with ze whipped coconut cream, some vegan chocolate sprinkles and crushed peanuts to finish off the peanut butter theme of the pie nicely and you have a dessert to write home about I tell you!
Each layer offsets every other layer beautifully. The coconut whipped cream topping is left plain (no added sugar or flavorings) so that it offsets the sweetness of the first two layers. You have the crunchy Oreo cookie base, this light and dreamy chocolate peanut butter mousse center and then the whipped cream topping which rounds it off perfectly.
Storing and Freezing
You have to keep this refrigerated. Cover and keep it in the fridge and consume within around 5 days for the best tastiest results. We did have a pie in the fridge for 7 days once and it was still fine, but for the best taste results, try to consume within 5 days.
Once out the fridge it will melt fairly soon. Jaye tried to take a slice to work one day, but by the time he got there it had melted completely, and we’re in what passes for winter in this part of the world, so it’s not super hot (okay it’s still pretty hot here).
So keep it in the fridge, and serve it straight out of the fridge. It’s not one you’ll take to work unless you’re taking a cooler bag or it’s actually cold where you are.
I haven’t tried freezing this one but my feeling is likely wouldn’t work that great for freezing as I think the coconut cream topping might separate or get weird once it thaws out.
More Delicious Vegan Pie Recipes!
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Vegan Banoffee Pie
- Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
- Vegan Lemon Pie
Vegan Oreo Pie
Oreo Cookie Crust:
- 24 Oreo Cookies
- 1/4 cup Melted Vegan Butter (56g)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Center:
- 1 and 1/4 cups Canned Coconut Cream (300ml) hardened cream only from one 14-ounce can, chilled overnight in the fridge
- Crushed Peanuts
- Vegan Chocolate Sprinkles
- Place the Oreos into the food processor and process into a fine crumble.
- Melt the vegan butter and pour over the crushed Oreos and mix in properly.
- Pat firmly down into a pie dish and place into the freezer to set.
- Now add the peanut butter, coconut cream, cocoa powder and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl and mix together with an electric mixer until perfectly smooth.
- Pour this out over the Oreo biscuit base and place into the refrigerator to set.
- Once the peanut butter chocolate mousse layer has set to firm, prepare your topping. Remove your chilled can of coconut cream from the fridge, and spoon out only the cream section which will have risen to the top. Throw out the watery section that remains.
- Using an electric mixer, whip this up until it has reached whipped cream consistency.
- Smooth down the whipped cream topping on top of the chocolate peanut butter mousse center.
- Top with crushed peanuts and vegan chocolate sprinkles and serve.
- Storing: Keep leftover pie stored in the refrigerator and consume within 5 days for best results.