Simple, soft and sweet vegan chocolate sugar cookies. These colorful frosted vegan sugar cookies bake in 10 minutes and are super easy to make.
For the Chocolate Sugar Cookies:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup (63g) Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 3/4 cup (172g) Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 5 Tbsp Soy Milk (1 at a time, only as much as needed)
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups (250g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Soy Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Red Food Coloring (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and cream together. Add vanilla and continue to whisk.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl and add baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix in by hand until crumbly. Add soy milk (or other non dairy milk) 1 Tbsp at a time until it forms a big ball of cookie dough that will stick together if you roll some of it into a ball. You may not need all 5 Tbsp of soy milk, this will entirely depend on the brand of vegan butter that you use.
- Dust a baking mat with cocoa powder and transfer the ball of cookie dough onto the mat. Roll out with a rolling pin to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut out your cookies. If you just want round cookies, you can skip this step and just roll them into balls, using the bottom of a glass dipped in cocoa powder to press down on them to flatten into neat round shapes.
- Place the cut out cookies onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before frosting.
- Add all frosting ingredients except for the red food coloring into an electric mixer bowl and starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until perfectly smooth. Your frosting should be quite thick, yet still spreadable. If it’s too thick add a drop or two more soy milk, if it’s too thin, add some more powdered sugar.
- Separate the frosting into two bowls. Add a drop of red food coloring to the one bowl and mix it in, which will create a pink color. Add a few more drops to the second bowl creating a darker pink or red.
- Spread the frosting on the cookies and then top with vegan sprinkles or other decorations.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Frosted Sugar Cookie
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 89mg
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 1.1g
Keywords: vegan chocolate sugar cookies, chocolate sugar cookies