Ultra rich, fudgy and decadent vegan chocolate zucchini cake with a chocolate fudge frosting. This bold and luxurious vegan chocolate cake is so good you’ll hardly believe shredded zucchini sneaked into the batter but the result is a chocolate cake of your dreams!
For the Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cups (65g) Cocoa Powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder*
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups (280g) Shredded Zucchini
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Vegan Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Vegetable Oil (I used Olive Oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg
For the Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
- 4 cups (480g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 3/4 cup (65g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 5 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Chocolate Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray two 8 inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder and salt and mix together.
- Rinse the zucchinis (about 3 medium or 5 small) and shred them, the easiest way would be in a food processor, and add the correct amount to the mixing bowl.
- Add in the vegan mayonnaise, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and vinegar.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp hot water from the kettle and allowing to sit for a minute until it gets gloopy. Add in to the mixing bowl.
- Mix your batter until well combined. It will be very thick. Have patience because the moisture from the shredded zucchinis will gradually seep through the batter creating enough moisture to mix everything together, it will be very thick, but you’ll be able to mix it all in.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans and spread it out evenly to the edges with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow your cakes to cool in the cake pans for at least 10 minutes before you remove them from the pans as they will be slightly fragile.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vegan butter, soy milk and vanilla extract to the bowl of an electric mixer and starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until it’s thick and smooth. This is a thick fudgy frosting. If it’s too thick though add a tiny bit more non-dairy milk until you reach a spreadable consistency.
- Frost the cakes and decorate with vegan chocolate chips and sprinkles.
*Espresso powder can be subbed for instant coffee powder.
*Weigh your flour (and your zucchini) for the most accurate results.
*Nutritional information includes frosting but excludes decorations like chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Category: Dessert, Cake, Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 64.8g
- Sodium: 397mg
- Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 88g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: vegan chocolate zucchini cake