Fabulous two layered vegan coconut cake topped with a coconut rum frosting. It’s moist, packed with coconut flavor and super easy to make!
For the Coconut Cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups (160g) Dessicated Coconut (Finely Shredded Coconut)*
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Full Fat Coconut Milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Coconut Rum Frosting:
- 4 and 1/2 cups (540g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Malibu Coconut Rum*
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray two 8 inch cake pans with non stick spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda, salt and dessicated coconut. Mix together.
- Then add in the coconut milk, melted coconut oil, vinegar, and vanilla and stir into a thick batter. Make sure it’s well mixed but be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and spread it out to the edges of the pans with a spatula or the back of a spoon, the batter will be too thick to spread out on its own.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, coconut rum and coconut milk to a mixing bowl and mixing with an electric mixer starting off slow and then gradually increasing speed until thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thick, add a tiny bit more coconut milk, a drop at a time until you reach the right consistency, if it’s too thin add more powdered sugar.
- Frost your cake and decorate it with plenty of dessicated coconut.
*Dessicated coconut is also called finely shredded coconut or finely shredded coconut flakes. It’s dried coconut that is shredded very finely.
*Use full fat canned coconut milk.
*If you prefer not to use coconut rum, then you can sub the rum for coconut milk.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 664
- Sugar: 70.7g
- Sodium: 432mg
- Fat: 29.4g
- Saturated Fat: 22.3g
- Carbohydrates: 95.3g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.3g
Keywords: vegan coconut cake