Ultra creamy vegan coconut cream pie. This super easy recipe is 3-layers of coconut goodness topped with toasted coconut. Vegan, gluten-free and great!
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups (200g) Walnuts
- 1 cup (175g) Dates (packed)
- 1/2 cup (40g) Dried (dessicated) Coconut
- For the Coconut Pudding Filling:
- 1/3 cup (64g) Coconut Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the Topping:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (chilled in the fridge overnight)
- 6 Tbsp Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- For the Toasted Coconut:
- 1/4 cup Shredded Coconut
- Add the walnuts, dates and dried (dessicated) coconut to the food processor and process. It will start out crumbly and then will gradually form into a sticky dough. When it’s sticky enough to be forming clumps, transfer to a pie dish and pat down, working it up along the sides as best you can.
- Place into the freezer to set.
- Prepare your filling. Place the cornstarch, coconut sugar, salt and coconut milk into a saucepan and whisk to combine. Heat on medium high heat, whisking regularly, until it is thick and bubbling (about 5 mins).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded coconut and vanilla. Place into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to set and cool completely. To speed things up, you can start it off cooling in the freezer – just don’t forget it in there!
- Remove your cans of coconut cream from the fridge where they have been chilling overnight (preferably longer). Be careful not to shake them. When you open them you’ll see that the cream section has risen to the top leaving the water at the bottom. Scoop out only the cream section of both cans into the bowl of an electric mixer. Throw out the water that’s left behind or use it for something else.
- Starting on low speed, gradually increase speed until the cream is whipped. Add the powdered sugar and whip again. For a full tutorial on making vegan whipped cream, click here.
- When your coconut pudding has cooled and set completely, mix in half of the whipped cream with the coconut pudding. Spread this on top of the walnut/date crust.
- Top with the remaining whipped cream.
- For the toasted coconut decoration, place 1/4 cup of shredded coconut onto a baking tray. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until nicely browned and fragrant. Allow to cool and dry completely before sprinkling it on top of the pie.
*Prep time excludes time spent cooling/setting.
*Filling recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
*With inspiration from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 24.6g
- Sodium: 93mg
- Fat: 43.6g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 5.6g