Creamy and hearty vegan corn chowder with potatoes! This soup is rich and comforting and makes a delicious appetizer or main course.
- 5 Corn on the Cob (or 4.5 cups (738g) Frozen Corn or Canned Corn, Drained)
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 cup (63g) All Purpose Flour*
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Light Coconut Milk
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 2 Large Potatoes (~600g/1.2 lb peeled and cubed)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3/4 cup Spring Onions (Chopped)*
- 1 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Slice the corn off the cob. Stand the corn cobs in a bowl and slice the corn off. Then break the corn cobs in half with your hands. Set aside both the fresh corn and the naked corn cobs.
- Add the vegan butter to a pot along with the chopped onion and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the crushed garlic and dried thyme and sauté with the onions.
- Add the all purpose flour and stir in, then add in the vegetable stock, light coconut milk and coconut cream and whisk together.
- Add in the peeled chopped potatoes, the naked corn cobs (you don’t need to use all of them, just as many as can comfortably fit in the pot) along with the bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and then cover the pot and let everything cook for around 25 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the corn cobs and the bay leaf.
- Add the fresh corn and let it cook for 5 minutes and then add in the chopped spring onions and stir in. Add the salt and sprinkle on some black pepper to taste.
- Serve with some more spring onions on top and a sprinkle of black pepper.
- Keep leftovers stored in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days.
*If you want this corn chowder to be gluten-free then use a gluten free all purpose flour blend.
*Spring onions are also called green onions or salad onions or scallions.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 6)
- Calories: 494
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 746mg
- Fat: 27.1g
- Saturated Fat: 18.9g
- Carbohydrates: 59.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 7.3g
Keywords: vegan corn chowder