Easy and delicious vegan corn fritters. Fabulous served either hot or cold, savory or sweet. Ideal as an appetizer or light meal.
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1/4 cup (40g) Yellow Cornmeal*
- 3 Tbsp White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Soy Milk
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (softened or melted)
- 2 14oz Cans Whole Corn Kernels (drained)
- 1/4 cup Chives
- 4 tsp Coconut Oil (for frying)
- Maple Syrup or Sweet Chili Sauce (for serving)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp hot water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the soy milk, flax egg and vegan butter to the mixing bowl and whisk together with a hand whisk until the lumps are removed.
- Finally add the whole corn kernels and the chopped chives.
- Heat a pan on the stove with a tsp of coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot add just enough batter to form two rounds of batter in the pan. Don’t swirl the batter around. It’s okay for them to be quite thick.
- When the batter gets dry along the edges, flip them over. Let them cook each side until browned, pressing down with the spatula so that any uncooked batter in the middle will press out to the sides.
- It takes around 3 minutes for each fritter to be properly cooked.
- Repeat until your batter runs out.
- Serve hot or cold with maple syrup or sweet chili sauce.
*Weigh your flour and cornmeal for the best results in this recipe.
- Category: Appetizer, Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Fritter (of 8)
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Sodium: 361mg
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan corn fritters