These easy and delicious vegan corn fritters are loaded up with corn and plenty of flavor. Perfect as an appetizer or light meal.
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) Yellow Cornmeal*
- 3 Tbsp White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Soy Milk*
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (Melted)
- 2 15oz Cans Whole Corn Kernels (~3 cups drained)*
- 1/4 cup Chives (Chopped)
- Coconut Oil (for frying)
For Serving (Optional):
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the yellow cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp hot water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the soy milk, flax egg and vegan butter to the mixing bowl and whisk together with a hand whisk until the lumps are removed.
- Finally add the whole corn kernels and the chopped chives.
- Heat a pan on the stove with a little coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot add just enough batter (around 1/4 cup batter per fritter) to form two rounds of batter in the pan. Don’t swirl the batter around. It’s okay for them to be quite thick.
- When the batter gets dry along the edges, flip them over. Let them cook each side until browned, pressing down with the spatula so that any uncooked batter in the middle will press out to the sides.
- Repeat until your batter runs out.
- Serve hot or cold with vegan sour cream and/or sweet chili sauce.
*Yellow cornmeal is also called polenta in Australia and South Africa.
*You can use a different non-dairy milk other than soy milk if you prefer.
*You can use canned or frozen corn. If you’re using canned corn then drain it very well first. If you’re using frozen then let it thaw first and then pat dry. The amount to use if you’re using frozen corn would be 3 cups.
*Nutritional information is for fritters only and excludes vegan sour cream or sweet chili sauce.
*This recipe was first published in July 2016. Now updated with new photos and extra tips.
- Category: Appetizer, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Fritter (of 10)
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 336mg
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 24.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.4g
Keywords: vegan corn fritters