Golden brown and delicious vegan cornbread muffins. Savory and a little sweet, perfectly moist and crumbly and just divine spread with vegan butter.
- 1 cup (160g) + 2 Tbsp (16g) Yellow Cornmeal*
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp (150g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or sub almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Coconut Oil
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Whole Sweet Corn (Drained)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the yellow cornmeal into a mixing bowl and then sift in the all purpose flour. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the vegan butter to a pot and melt it and then add in the brown sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the soy milk and apple cider vinegar mix, maple syrup and coconut oil and add to the dry ingredients along with the flax egg.
- Using a hand whisk remove any lumps from the batter.
- Add the whole sweet corn pieces and mix in.
- Spray a muffin tray with non-stick spray and then divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the muffin tray and placing on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve with vegan butter and some maple syrup.
*Yellow cornmeal is also called Polenta in Australia/South Africa.
*Weigh your yellow cornmeal and all purpose flour for the most accurate results in this recipe.
*Adapted from my Vegan Cornbread.
- Category: Breakfast, Sides
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 383mg
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 3.7g
Keywords: vegan cornbread muffins