Well here’s a little something that fits perfectly into the category of vegan comfort food! Vegan cornbread!
It is winter right now in my part of the world so I’m inspired to make more warming things.
And this cornbread fits the bill.
I love bread. All kinds of bread.
So of course cornbread and I are friends that go way back.
And this vegan cornbread is really something between bread and cake.
I wanted it to be sweet so there is some brown sugar added which adds just the right amount of sweetness.
I mean it is cornbread after all. To me that isn’t a savory thing. Corn is sweet, so a cornbread should be sweet.
At least mildly so, as this one is.
And then I included the actual sweet corn kernels which add a delicious crunchiness to it.
Spread with some vegan butter or drizzled with some maple syrup, or just eaten as is (as Jaye preferred it), this cornbread is fabulous all ways.
You will absolutely love this vegan cornbread! It is:
- Perfectly sweet
While it does keep for a few days wrapped up or stored in an airtight container, it is just SOOOO good straight from the oven and as fresh as possible.
So let us know what you think of this vegan cornbread in the comments and please rate the recipe too!
For more delicious vegan breads check out these great recipes:
Sign up to our email list for a fabulous vegan dinner recipes ebook with 10 delicious recipes (entirely free) and to stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.Print
Perfectly sweet vegan cornbread with whole corn kernels. Wonderfully moist and tender and makes the perfect side dish. Ideal comfort food!
- 1 heaped cup (175g) Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp (150g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Golden or Maple Syrup
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Whole Sweet Corn
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius).
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot on the stove with the brown sugar.
- When the sugar is dissolved and butter melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, and the soy milk and apple cider vinegar mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry.
- Add the flax egg.
- Using a hand whisk remove any lumps.
- Lastly add the whole sweet corn pieces and mix in.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan (9×5 inch) that has been greased with coconut oil and lined with parchment paper at the base.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*For the best accuracy in this recipe – weigh the ingredients using a digital scale. When I say ‘heaped cup’ for the cornmeal, I mean it must be to the brim, not above the brim. The All Purpose Flour must be measured correctly – spooned into a measuring cup and then leveled off at the top, then add 3 Tablespoons. Or simply weigh it out for the best accuracy.
*The cooking time for this can vary a lot. On one occasion it took 45 minutes for a toothpick to come out clean, on another occasion it was done in 30 minutes. So just bear this in mind and be flexible.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan cornbread