This vegan cornbread is seriously the BEST. It’s perfectly sweet, moist and tender and makes a perfect side. Ideal comfort food!
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (176g) Yellow Cornmeal*
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp (150g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or sub almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Maple Syrup
- 1 and 1/2 cups Canned Whole Sweet Corn
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and spray a 9×9 inch square dish with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.*
- Add the yellow cornmeal to a mixing bowl and sift in the all purpose flour. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the soy milk and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot on the stove and then add the brown sugar and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the sugar is dissolved into the butter, remove from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, and then add in the soy milk and apple cider vinegar mix. Add the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Then add in the flax egg. Use a hand whisk briefly to remove any lumps.
- Lastly add the whole sweet corn pieces and mix in.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*Yellow cornmeal is also called Polenta in Australia and South Africa.
*For the best accuracy in this recipe – weigh your flour and yellow cornmeal using a food scale.
*You can make this in a 9×5 loaf pan for a loaf of cornbread that you can cut into slices. All the directions stay exactly the same, just spray your loaf pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Bake for around 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*This recipe was first published in February 2016 but has been updated with new photos and text.
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.2g
Keywords: vegan cornbread