I love soups. They’re more than starters/appetizers for me, I like to have them as the main course with a good deal of bread for dipping.
I’ve long been a fan of this vegan cream of mushroom soup.
The flavors just blend soooo well, and it’s ultra creamy and delicious.
It’s also really rather a snap to make. Just 8-ingredients and bingo – you have a deliciously creamy soup.
I used 3 kinds of mushrooms in this soup. White button mushrooms, brown button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms.
I’ve also made it in the past with just white button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms, so it just depends on what’s easy to get hold of.
If you want to mix it up – go for it!
And then the creaminess is from the coconut milk. I’ve also made this recipe using coconut cream, but it’s very rich.
If you like things ultra rich, then you can also try it with coconut cream, but I think you’ll find the coconut milk is quite rich enough.
I blend this soup up directly in the pot using an immersion blender. If you don’t have one (I recommend you get one – so easy!) you could blend it up in a normal blender, you will just have to do it in stages though so you don’t overload your blender.
Alternatively you could leave it unblended. As you can see in the picture above, it looks pretty cool before being blended!
I just find that blending it really incorporates those flavors in the best possible way (though I must say I think it actually looks better before being blended – but hey, it’s not about the look, it’s about the taste!)
I think you’re going to enjoy this soup! Well, especially if you like mushroomy things that is! This vegan cream of mushroom soup is:
- Ultra Creamy
- Rich and Flavorful
- Only 8-Ingredients
- Easy to Make
- Super Yum!
Have it as an appetizer and it will serve 4, or have it as a main course with some fancy bread (or just regular bread), it’ll serve 2 and you can call it dinner!
So what do you think? Keen on some vegan cream of mushroom soup? Let me know what you think in the comments.
If you make it, please rate it and let me know how it turned out for you!
Tag any photos #lovingitvegan on instagram so I can admire them and see what you’re making out there!
Thanks a million!
- 2 Packs (18oz/500g) White Button Mushrooms
- 1 Pack (9oz/250g) Brown Mushrooms
- 2 Large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (or Tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Peel and chop the onion. Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the onion and sliced mushrooms to a pot with the 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce and cook on medium high, covered, for 10 minutes.
- This will allow the mushrooms to release their water.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes uncovered to allow some of the water to cook off.
- Then add the coconut milk and cook for a final 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavors to blend properly.
- Then remove from the heat and blend with an immersion blender directly in the pot. If you don't have an immersion blender, then you can leave it unblended, or transfer it to a blender jug in stages and blend it up till smooth.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.