I love soups. They’re more than starters/appetizers for me, I like to have them as the main course with a good deal of bread for dipping.
I’ve long been a fan of this vegan cream of mushroom soup.
The flavors just blend soooo well, and it’s ultra creamy and delicious.
It’s also really rather a snap to make.
I used 3 kinds of mushrooms in this soup. White button mushrooms, brown button mushrooms (portobellini) and portobello mushrooms.
I’ve also made it in the past with just white button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms, so it just depends on what’s easy to get hold of.
If you want to mix it up – go for it!
And then the creaminess is from the coconut milk. I’ve also made this recipe using coconut cream, but it’s very rich.
If you like things ultra rich, then you can also try it with coconut cream, but I think you’ll find the coconut milk is quite rich enough.
I’ve made this soup in the past and blended it up using an immersion blender, but I must say it’s better unblended. Most soups are better blended, but in the case of this soup, it works better unblended with the creamy soup and chunky mushrooms.
The mushroom flavors really mix in with the creaminess of the coconut milk and spices and it all just works!
I think you’re going to enjoy this soup! Well, especially if you like mushroomy things that is! This vegan cream of mushroom soup is:
- Ultra Creamy
- Rich and Flavorful
- Easy to Make
- Super Yum!
Have it as an appetizer and it will serve 4, or have it as a main course with some fancy bread (or just regular bread), it’ll serve 2 and you can call it dinner!
So what do you think? Keen on some vegan cream of mushroom soup? Let me know what you think in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thanks!
And do sign up to our email list for a fabulous (and free!) recipe ebook and to stay updated with all our latest recipe posts!Print
Simple and ultra creamy vegan cream of mushroom soup. Rich and flavorful and deliciously satisfying, this soup makes an ideal appetizer. Gluten-Free.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 Packs (18oz/500g) White Button Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 1 Pack (9oz/250g) Brown Button Mushrooms (Portobellini), (Sliced)
- 2 Large Portobello Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (or Tamari if gluten-free)
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Add the olive oil to a pot with the onion and garlic, dried oregano and basil and sauté briefly.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms and the soy sauce, and cover the pot. Cook on medium high, covered, for around 10 minutes.
- This will allow the mushrooms to release their water.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes uncovered to allow some of the water to cook off.
- Then add the coconut milk and cook for a final 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the flavors to blend properly.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 623mg
- Fat: 21.5g
- Saturated Fat: 14.7g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 8.6g
Keywords: vegan cream of mushroom soup