This vegan dulce de leche sauce is simply divine.
It’s made from coconut cream, coconut milk, brown sugar and a little salt. That’s it!
A 4-ingredient, super easy recipe to the most deliciously thick, smooth and fabulous caramel sauce of your dreams!
The regular version of dulce de leche is sweetened condensed milk, that’s been boiled for many hours until it forms a thick caramel.
In South Africa we buy this ready-made and it’s called Carnation Caramel. Carnation being the brand that makes it.
I don’t know how it’s done in other countries, but I imagine something much the same!
The vegan version is much easier than boiling a can of condensed milk for many hours! It doesn’t even involve condensed milk at all (though I did wonder, what would happen if we canned and boiled our vegan condensed milk? Sounds like way too much effort though!)
In this version, you just throw in all your ingredients, give ’em a whisk, and heat them to boiling. Then you leave it to boil and reduce/thicken for 20 minutes, then you remove it from the heat! Donezo!
As it cools it thickens more and more. And then you can keep it in the fridge where it gets very thick and dreamily delicious! And then you can eat it with a spoon! Or use it as an ice-cream sauce, or pour it over pancakes or whatever you like!
When I gave some to my sister she immediately said ‘I’m just going to eat this with a spoon!’. So yes, it does inspire a person to do this!
You will love this vegan dulce de leche, it is:
- Super easy
- Pure caramel
- Thick and creamy
Keep it in the fridge and reheat if you want it served warm.
So what do you think of this vegan dulce de leche? Planning to make it? Let us know how it works out! And if you take any pics, tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we see them!
For more delicious caramel recipes check out:
- How to make date caramel
- 3-ingredient vegan caramel sauce
- Vegan Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Vegan Caramel Cream Pie
Sign up to our email list for a free recipe ebook, and to stay updated with all our latest recipes!
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- 1 and ½ cups (300g) Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- Add coconut cream, coconut milk, brown sugar and salt to a large pot.*
- Whisk with a hand whisk to combine and heat on high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to boil. Turn the heat down to medium and let it boil (uncovered), stirring every now and then, until the mixture has reduced and thickened (about 20 minutes). Keep a close eye on it so that it doesn't boil over.
- Let the sauce cool for a few minutes in the pot before transferring to jars. Allow to cool completely in the jars before refrigerating. It will continue to thicken in the fridge into a thick caramel.
*Recipe adapted from Epicurious.