Crispy and perfectly browned vegan falafel served with a garlic tahini sauce. This vegan falafel recipe is simple, flavorful and filling!
- For the Falafel:
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chickpeas
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1/3 cup Cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried Chili Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 6–8 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil (for frying)
- For the Garlic Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/2 Lemon (Juiced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Water
- For Serving:
- Pita Breads
- Chopped Cilantro
- Drain the chickpeas, peel and chop the onion and crush the garlic and add to a food processor.
- Finely chop the cilantro and add to the food processor with the sesame seeds, salt, pepper, dried chili flakes, coriander powder and cumin.
- Add in 6 Tbsp Flour and process. If the mixture is still very wet, add in 2 more Tbsp Flour.
- Generously sprinkle flour onto a baking sheet and scoop out a generous spoonful of falafel mix onto the floured baking sheet. Roll the ball in the flour, adding more as necessary to stop it sticking so that you can roll it in your hands. The mix will still be quite wet and the balls won’t be very firm. Don’t worry they will firm up in the freezer.
- Roll all the mix into balls adding flour to the baking sheet generously as needed. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 20 minutes so that the balls can firm up.
- After 20 minutes, either dip the bottom of a glass in some flour and press down on the balls to flatten or flatten them with a spatula once frying.
- Add 2 Tbsp Olive Oil to a frying pan and once sizzling add in half the falafels, provided they will easily fit in your pan.
- Fry the falafels turning regularly until crispy and nicely browned on each side. Turn out onto a plate covered with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat for the second batch.
- When your falafels are cooked, throw your sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk with a hand whisk until smooth.
- Serve with pita breads, salad, pickles and chopped cilantro.
*Adapted from Epicurious.
*Prep time does not include time spent setting in the freezer.
*Nutritional information is for 1 falafel without sauce.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Falafel (of 16)
- Calories: 76
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 1.9g