You won’t miss the eggs with this easy and delicious vegan French toast. It’s crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and makes the perfect breakfast.
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 4 Tbsp Chickpea Flour (or sub all purpose flour)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt (or use 1/4 tsp black salt/kala namak and 1/4 tsp regular salt)*
- 6 Slices Bread (thickly sliced)*
- Coconut Oil (for frying)*
- Add the chickpea flour (or all purpose flour if you’re using) to a shallow bowl and add just a dash of soy milk and mix in until smooth. Then add the rest of the soy milk.
- Add the nutritional yeast, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt and whisk together.
- Heat up a frying pan with some coconut oil.
- Soak a slice of bread in the batter for a few seconds on each side, and then place onto the frying pan to cook until browned on each side.
- Serve as is or drizzled with syrup or jam and topped with some vegan whipped cream.
*If you have black salt aka kala namak on hand then you can use half black salt and half regular salt. Black salt adds more ‘eggy’ flavor to recipes.
*I found the coconut oil to be very helpful in getting the outsides nice and browned and the most similar to ‘regular’ French toast. I added a bit more coconut oil (around one teaspoon) with every slice of french toast.
*I used a sourdough bread that was a little stale. Cut thickly it made the perfect kind of slices for making french toast. You will definitely get the best results if you choose a sturdy kind of bread (not soft sandwich bread) that you can slice thickly, and it’s also ideal if it’s a little on the stale side rather than ultra fresh.
*Nutritional Information is for one slice of French Toast, served as is, no additional toppings.
*This recipe was first published in February 2016 now updated with a few added tips and tricks!
*Recipe adapted from Peta.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 6)
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 454mg
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 6.2g
Keywords: vegan french toast