I always think a vegan funfetti cake is such a great celebratory cake!
It’s the perfect kind of cake to have for a birthday party, and while all the bright and cheery colorful stuff is very kid-friendly, adults also tend to be pleased as punch with cakes like this!
I’ve made some vegan funfetti cupcakes already, and those were so awesome, I knew I’d make a vegan funfetti cake one day!
What kind of sprinkles are best for a funfetti cake?
I wanted to wait until I could get hold of some rainbow sprinkles, because when I made my cupcakes I used non pareils (the balls). Those worked okay, but rainbow sprinkles is really the best for a funfetti cake.
If you use the wrong kind of sprinkles then they just melt and run and you end up with a cake that is too wet and doesn’t have the little dashes of color going through it because they all just melted away.
So you want to use rainbow sprinkles (also called jimmies)! That is really the top tip for this cake.
The other tip is to add the rainbow sprinkles in last, once you have already mixed your batter, and just gently fold them in.
Then divide between your cake tins and right into the oven.
You don’t want them sitting around in the batter, or that could result in the color streaking.
What about the flavor?
The flavor of this cake is delicious vanilla and the frosting is a fabulous vanilla buttercream that just melts in your mouth.
I’m not one for cake decorating (I just don’t have the skills!) but I decided to complement the colorfulnesss of the cake with some colorful frosting too. So after frosting the cake, I put a little frosting aside, divided it into two bowls and then added a drop or two of pink food coloring to one bowl, and a drop or two of green food coloring to the other bowl, and then just piped alternating colors along the edges of the cake.
Loads more sprinkles went into the middle for decoration and suddenly it was a pretty cake! And so easy anyone can do it. Really, there are no special skills involved in making or decorating this cake.
So I hope you’ll love this gorgeous vegan funfetti cake! It is:
- Super easy
- Vanilla flavored
- Light and fluffy
- A great vegan birthday cake!
- Perfect for celebrations!
Keep it covered at room temperature and enjoy within a few days or keep covered in the fridge and consume within a week.
So let us know what you think of this vegan funfetti cake in the comments! And please rate the recipe too, it’s so helpful! Thank you.
For more fabulous vegan cakes, take a look at these great recipes:
- Vegan Lemon Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan White Cake
- Vegan Coconut Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Sheet Cake
Sign up to our email list while you’re here, and you’ll get an awesome free recipe ebook with 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes and you’ll be the first to know when we post new recipes to the blog!
Colorful and festive vegan funfetti cake! This gorgeous, light and fluffy, moist and vanilla flavored cake with vanilla frosting is perfect for celebrations!
For the Funfetti Cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Soy Milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canola Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (95g) Rainbow Sprinkles*
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 and 1/2 cups (540g) Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 3–4 Tbsp Soy Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pink and Green Food Coloring (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray 2 8 inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the soy milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla and use a hand whisk to mix until just combined.
- Add the sprinkles and fold in gently.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, 3 Tbsp of soy milk and the vanilla to the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beginning at slow speed, gradually increase speed until thick and smooth. If it’s too thick, add in the extra tablespoon of soy milk but add it in slowly as you might not need all of it.
- If you don’t want to do the pink and green frosting decoration then just use all the frosting to frost the cake. But if you would like to do it, then leave a little frosting behind after frosting the cake. Take the remaining frosting and divide it into two bowls. Place a couple of drops of pink food coloring into one bowl and a couple of drops of green food coloring into the other and mix it in. Then pipe on alternating pink and green around the edges of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with sprinkles.
- Keep the cake covered at room temperature where it will stay fresh for a few days or covered in the fridge where it will last up to a week.
*Soy milk can be switched for almond milk.
*You can use any vegetable oil it doesn’t have to be canola.
*Check the sprinkles for vegan friendliness as not all are vegan.
- Category: Dessert, Baking, Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 12)
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 73.2g
- Sodium: 376mg
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrates: 98.2g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.9g
Keywords: vegan funfetti cake