These vegan funfetti cupcakes are light, fluffy, moist, colorful and perfect for a party or celebration. Super easy to make and heaps of fun!
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1/3 cup (50g) Rainbow Sprinkles*
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 4 cups (480g) Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2–3 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add white granulated sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Add soy milk, vanilla extract, oil and vinegar and mix into a batter. Don’t over-mix.
- Add sprinkles and fold them into the batter carefully.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes. Check if they’re done by inserting a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes. It should come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the tray and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Add vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp soy milk to the bowl of your stand mixer. Starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If needed, add the extra soy milk.
- When the cupcakes have cooled, pipe on the frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
*Measure the flour correctly. If you have a food scale, then it’s ideal to simply weigh your flour for total accuracy. If you don’t have a food scale, then use the ‘spoon and level’ method. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup.
*Sprinkles. It’s crucial to use the right sprinkles for funfetti cakes and cupcakes and the right kind of sprinkles are rainbow sprinkles or ‘jimmies’. Check the label for vegan friendliness or try these from Sweetapolita.
*Storing. Keep your cupcakes covered at room temperature where they will stay fresh for 2-3 days, or covered in the fridge where they will stay fresh up to a week.
*Freezing. They are also freezer friendly (frosted or unfrosted) for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and then bring to room temperature on the countertop before serving.
*Frosting. The frosting makes enough to generously pipe frosting onto all the cupcakes (as pictured). If you only want to pipe on a small amount or just want to spread the frosting you could halve the recipe.
*Nutritional information includes frosting.
*This recipe was first published in October 2017. It has been updated with new photos and lots of extra tips but the recipe itself is the same.
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 58g
- Sodium: 299mg
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 74.6g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.6g
Keywords: vegan funfetti cupcakes