These vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies are so good no one will ever guess they’re gluten free. Super easy to make, soft, chewy and totally divine.
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (272g) Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Baking Blend*
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (88g) Vegan Chocolate Chips (plus more to press into the tops when they come out the oven)
- 1/2 cup (88g) Vegan Chocolate Chunks
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the vegan butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and cream them together.
- Prepare a flax egg by adding 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed meal to a bowl and then adding 3 Tbsp of hot water from the kettle and letting it become gloopy.
- Add the flax egg and the vanilla into the mixing bowl and mix in.
- Then add in the gluten free all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch and mix it in by hand (you can use a spoon but just don’t use the electric mixer for this part).
- Then add the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks and mix into a thick cookie dough. Add in the soy milk and mix in again.
- Roll into balls and place onto the parchment lined baking tray. Aim for 20 balls.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and press some chocolate chips right into the tops of the warm cookies.
- Leave the cookies on the tray to cool and firm up.
*I have found gluten-free flour blends to be a little denser (heavier) in weight than regular wheat flour. The gram measures for a cup of gluten-free all purpose flour online are not consistent. The only place I’ve found a clear measurement is on the back of a Bob’s Red Mill brand gluten free all purpose flour which was 1/4 cup = 34g so 1 cup = 136g. So I have generally gone with that as a measurement, no matter the brand of gluten-free all purpose flour I’ve used as it’s always seemed to be quite accurate when I check it. For the best accuracy, weigh your flour for this recipe, unless you’re very experienced in gluten-free baking.
*You can use all vegan chocolate chips or all chocolate chunks (just chop your favorite vegan chocolate into chunks) if you like, but I like using a mix of the two.
*The amount of non-dairy milk you’ll need will depend on the brand of vegan butter that you use. The cookie dough should be slightly ‘wet’ but should not stick to your hands when you roll the cookies into balls. So just see how much non-dairy milk you need and don’t use any more than necessary.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 11.9g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 2.1g
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip cookies, vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies