Super rich and beautifully flavorful vegan gravy. Perfect to pour over your mashed potatoes! Easy to make, hearty and satisfying.
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Add the vegan butter to a saucepan and let it melt. Then add the chopped onions and garlic and fry in the butter until very soft and translucent.
- Mix the flour and a little of the coconut milk together and mix it into a paste. Then add the rest of the coconut milk to the paste and whisk it in so that the flour and coconut milk is well combined and free of lumps.
- Then add the flour and coconut milk mix to the saucepan along with the soy sauce and vegetable stock and whisk together.
- Bring to the boil, whisking constantly and then let it boil for a few minutes until it thickens. You don’t need it to get very thick, because you want it to be a nice pourable consistency.
- Add some black pepper and then sea salt to taste.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or over anything that needs a delicious rich gravy.
*To make this gravy gluten-free you can try it with a gluten-free all purpose flour and a gluten-free soy sauce. I have not tested it this way but have made other sauces with gluten-free all purpose flour and it has worked perfectly.
- Category: Side, Savory, Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 95
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 257mg
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 0.8g
Keywords: vegan gravy