This vegan green bean casserole is a holiday classic. Tender green beans mixed with a creamy mushroom sauce and crispy fried onions and baked to perfection.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and then add in the green beans and flash boil them for 3 minutes. Then drain the green beans and add to a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the olive oil and crushed garlic to a frying pan along with the sliced cremini mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté until the mushrooms are softened. Add the coconut milk and heat with the mushrooms until it reaches a simmer.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water into a paste and add it to the soup stirring vigorously and keep stirring for a few more minutes until the soup is thickened.
- Pour your mushroom soup in with your green beans in the mixing bowl and add in a 1/3 cup of crispy fried onions. Mix in.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish and place into the oven to bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove it from the oven and add the remaining crispy fried onions to the top of the dish and then return to the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes until the onions are browned on top. Remove from the oven and let the dish cool on a wire cooling rack for a few minutes before serving.
*Cremini mushrooms are also called baby bella or portobellini mushrooms.
*You can also use fresh green beans if you prefer. The method will remain the same.
*You can switch soy sauce for Tamari if you prefer.
*The coconut milk should be full fat canned unsweetened coconut milk. If you have a coconut allergy you can switch for a different non-dairy milk that heats well like soy or almond but it will be much less rich.
*Make Ahead: Prepare the casserole up to the point that you put the green bean, mushroom soup and crispy fried onion mix into the 9×13 dish (step 6) but then instead of placing it into the oven at this point as you would usually do, just let it cool, cover the dish and refrigerate. When you are ready to bake it the next day, place the dish into the oven and bake as normal with an extra 5 minutes of bake time to account for the coldness of the dish going in. Then bring it out and add the extra crispy fried onions as usual and bake for the last 5 minutes.
*Leftovers can be stored, covered, in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until heated through.
- Category: Side, Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 10)
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 247mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3.9g
Keywords: vegan green bean casserole