Fabulously hearty vegan gumbo with loads of flavor from a rich vegan roux and tons of veggies. Savory and delicious comfort food!
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter*
- 2/3 cup (83g) All Purpose Flour
- 2 Medium Green Bell Peppers (Finely chopped)
- 2 Celery Stalks (Finely chopped)
- 1 Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2 cups (480ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Mixed Frozen Vegetables*
- 1 Medium Head of Cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 1 pound (16oz) Baby Bella Mushrooms (Sliced)*
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 14oz (400g) Can Chopped Tomato
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Kidney Beans
- Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
- Basmati Rice
- Chopped Spring Onions*
- Add the vegan butter to a heavy bottomed pot and let it melt over medium heat. Add in the all purpose flour and stir it into a paste.
- Keep stirring and over the course of about 20 minutes (if you’re on high heat) and around an hour on low to medium heat, you’ll watch the roux change, from a thick paste into a thin sauce and the color will gradually change until you eventually reach a milk chocolate color which indicates that your roux is perfectly done. A high quality heavy bottomed pot will be ideal especially if you choose the high heat fast route. If you have a concern that it may burn in your pot then rather take the slow and steady approach. The end result will be worth it.
- If you burn the roux, you have to start again. So be very careful. Unfortunately once burnt that roux can’t be salvaged and it will have to be redone.
- When your roux reaches the milk chocolate stage, then add in the green bell pepper, celery and onion, called the ‘Holy Trinity’ of veggies. Add to your roux and mix in and cook until the veggies are softened.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir in.
- Add frozen veg, cauliflower florets, mushrooms, garlic, cajun seasoning, liquid smoke and a bay leaf. Stir this in.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans and stir in. Bring it all to a simmer, cover the pot and leave it to simmer until everything is cooked and fragrant.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with basmati rice (optional) with some chopped spring onions on top.
*Vegan butter can be subbed for oil but vegan butter is recommended.
*If you can get okra then you can swap the mixed frozen veg for 1 cup of fresh or frozen okra.
*Baby bella mushrooms are also called cremini or portobellini or brown button mushrooms. You can also swap these for white button mushrooms.
*Spring onions are also called green onions or salad onions or scallions.
*Cook time presumes only 20 minutes is spent on the roux.
*Nutritional information is for gumbo only and does not include rice.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 494
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 951mg
- Fat: 24.2g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 12.1g
- Protein: 16.3g
Keywords: vegan gumbo