These vegan gyros are flavorful and fun and use shredded mushrooms and artichokes for the ‘meat’. Served with vegan tzatziki and salad in pita breads!
For the Mushrooms/Artichoke Filling:
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Red Onion (Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 14 oz (400g) Mix of King Oyster, Shiitake (stems removed), Shimeji Mushrooms (Shredded with a fork)*
- 1 and 1/3 cups (7 oz/200g) Marinated Artichokes (Drained/Quartered)
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 6 Pita Breads (Toasted)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced Cucumber
- Sliced Radishes
- Sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- Vegan Tzatziki
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Add the olive oil and sliced red onion to an oven-proof frying pan or skillet and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Then add the crushed garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ground cloves, black pepper and dried oregano and sauté for a minute until the spices are well mixed with the onions.
- Add the tomato paste and mix in until well mixed.
- Add the shredded mushrooms and artichokes and fry until softened.
- Add liquid smoke, dark soy sauce and maple syrup and fry until all the liquid has cooked off and the sauce is sticky.
- Then place your whole pan into the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 400°F.
- While the mushrooms/artichokes are baking, prepare the other ingredients: pita breads, shredded lettuce, sliced cucumbers, sliced radishes and sliced cherry tomatoes and make up a batch of vegan tzatziki.
- When the mushrooms/artichokes are baked, assemble your gyros.
- Lay a pita bread flat and spread the middle with tzatziki. Then add lettuce, cucumber, radish and cherry tomatoes. Then add your mushroom/artichoke mix on top of that and top it with more tzatziki.
- Fold up the edges of the pita bread around your filling and enjoy!
*We used a mix of king oyster, shiitake and shimeji that was conveniently sold as an ‘exotic mushroom mix’ but you can use any mix of these or only king oyster or only shiitake or whatever is easiest. Shiitake mushrooms should have their stems removed.
*The artichokes should be marinated artichokes that you buy in a jar.
*If you don’t have an oven proof frying pan or skillet then you can just use whatever pan you have and then transfer your mushroom/artichoke mix to an oven safe dish before baking.
*Quite a bit of the prep for the serving of this recipe will be done while the mushrooms are cooking and then baking, so the prep time listed is just for the preparation of the ingredients for the mushroom/artichoke mix and the assembling of the gyros.
*Nutritional information excludes the vegan tzatziki. Nutritional information for that can be found at the linked recipe.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Greek
- Serving Size: 1 Gyro
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 10.7g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 50.5g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 9.8g
Keywords: vegan gyros